• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jacqui Smith was appointed Home Secretary in Gordon Brown's first Cabinet reshuffle of 28 June 2007. Just one day into her new job bombs were found in London and a terrorist attack took place the following day.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Smith married Richard J Timney (born 1963 in Ealing) in October 1987 in Malvern and has two sons (born September 1993 and June 1998).
      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

On the 19 July 2007 she admitted to smoking cannabis a number of times in Oxford in the 1980s. She at first stated her behaviour had been wrong, and urged people not to try it especially considering the side effects and alleged strengthening of cannabis that had occurred since that time. Later on in the statement, she made a virtue of her having smoked cannabis, as having "given her the experiences to understand that she wants crime tackled". This information was made public the day after Gordon Brown appointed her head of a new government review of the UK Drugs strategy. The incident left some in the news to rename her Jacqui Spliff.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

The Secretary of State for the Home Department, commonly known as the Home Secretary, is the minister in charge of the United Kingdom Home Office and is responsible for internal affairs in England and Wales, and for immigration and citizenship for the whole United Kingdom (including Scotland and Northern Ireland). In certain other countries, such as Australia and India, the term Home Secretary refers to the Permanent Secretary, or the senior civil servant, at the Home Ministry of that country.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

The remit of the UK ministry includes policing, national security, immigration, and matters of citizenship.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

The Home Secretary has no responsibility for the Courts of England and Wales. Unlike many other governments issues usually dealt with by a Department of Justice, the British government has three separate departments: The Home Office (as specified above), the Attorney General's Office and the Ministry of Justice, headed by the Secretary of State for Justice, for legal, judicial and civil rights issues. These responsibilities were transferred on 9 May 2007.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

The Home Office has also previously dealt with some social issues, including race equality, community cohesion, and policy on charities and the voluntary sector. social exclusion, equality and race relations. Responsibility for race equality and community cohesion is held since 5 May 2006 by the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government. From the same date, responsibility for charities and the voluntary sector has been held by the Cabinet Office.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Home Secretaries since 1782 were...
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

William Petty, 2nd Earl of Shelburne (27 March – 10 July 1782)
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Thomas Townshend (10 July 1782 – 2 April 1783)
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X