• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
    Trying doing telephone support to a GP's receptionist trying to get her to vi a printer driver in zenix
    I used to use Xenix! Mostly for playing that Amulet of Yendor game.
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
      I used to use Xenix! Mostly for playing that Amulet of Yendor game.
      Rogue!
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

And here we have criticism of the criticisms...

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=538

Comment

I wonder if there is anybody using xenix now? maybe I have found my niche skill -

Kernal config xenix - use to be on my CV that!
          Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Trying doing telephone support to a GP's receptionist trying to get her to vi a printer driver in zenix
            The CP/M machines we used had a terminal connected over a serial interface. When the users got confused, they would turn the screen off and on to try to reset it. This had no impact upon the box containing the Z80, but did make the terminal lose its video RAM: hence a blank screen.

Often, they would be in WordStar. Many, many times I instructed a user to do this over the 'phone to get their screen back:

^K 1 ^Q R ^K B ^Q C ^K K ^Q 1 ^K 1 ^K H ^K H ^O T ^O T ^O W ^O W

Sorted.

Comment

When using the Xenix box or the ICL ME29 I still edited my COBOL source on my CP/M box using WordStar 3.

WordStar was the best source code editor I have ever used, even better than Brief.

Comment

I have dictated users through using DEBUG to modify object code over the phone. I'd do that again before wanting to do telephone support for a GUI ever again.

"Click on the cross in the top right of that pane, not the application window itself. Then double left click on the icon to the left of the name, not the name itself. Now right click on the one pixel wide vertical bar on the line above the column letters."

Comment

Think I used Wordstar to edit a DOS app? Much better then edlin - oh those were the days.
                  Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

When using the Xenix box or the ICL ME29 I still edited my COBOL source on my CP/M box using WordStar 3.

WordStar was the best source code editor I have ever used, even better than Brief.
                    Can I change my mind?

I forgot about QuickBASIC (which I still use).

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                      Correction: It [Harp] still is horrible.

I had Double Diamond a few years back.

WTF were people thinking of?

Comment

Working...
                      X