• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    That's nice to know...

Computer was knocked out by 3 or 4 successive power cuts, about 100ms each... had to use the CD & the emergency repair disk to get it going again..

I've never seen it halt quite like that during boot up before...

Just sits there with a BSOD saying Halt Error or somesuch.

Having fixed that, I then discovered that the network was screwed.

It was still screwed when I got bored & left at 16:40.

It'll probably still be screwed when I go in tomorrow...
    Electronic digital computers, eh? Load of rubbish

They won't catch on, you know. You mark my words.

I've been saying since I was at college: analogue is the way to go for high performance computing. Digital is a temporary distraction.

You'll see.
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

A realtime clock chip and a PIC plus a couple of stepper motors.
      Of course, yes. You don't even need smooth movement for a solar panel.

I should have thought a rummage around in the archives of alt.astronomy , alt.astronomy.solar , uk.sci.astronomy or sci.astronomy would do no harm. Or better yet, ask there for suggestions.
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

A realtime clock chip and a PIC plus a couple of stepper motors.
        Is that solving the right problem?

Do you need to be taking the time and converting it into angles and degrees of movement.

How about something as simple as some photoresistors (or some other light-sensitive devices) arranged in a grid behind a curved 'screen' with a hole in that is attached to a moveable solar panel. You just need to move the panel so that the photo-thingy producing the most current is the centre-most one.

If none are above a certain level, do not move the panel at all.

Then, on dark cloudy days (and night) the panel does not get moved, thereby saving energy.

I reckon the power from the panel should be used as its own motive force too (except perhaps with a small rechargeable to move the panel back to East each morning).

How's that? No clock, no timing circuits, no trying to remember which is latitude and longitude and no SohCahToa algebra.

Then flog the design to 3rd world development agencies for wodges of money.

Next?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Evening all

Comment

BrilloPad 22,184
            zeitghost 17,493
            cailin maith 12,880
            voodooflux 11,640
            Diver 11,071
            DS23 10,002
            NickFitz 9,969
            BrowneIssue 9,904
            TheFaQQer 9,664
            FiveTimes 7,602
            22k posts.

Scourer, you are such a mentalist!

Comment

oh, yes. I've been meaning to say for a while:

Nice avatar!

Comment

That's dinner scoffed.

Stake and Ale casserole with sliced spuds and roast onions for me. With a glass or two of Soave.

Comment

Mrs BI had something healthy that was full of veg but had a scrummy red wine sauce.

With a glass or two of Soave.

Comment

I might just have to finish off the bottle for myself.

Comment

Then again, I'm not in the mood.

Bed, instead, methinks.

Comment

Working...
                      X