• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Population
    2222 Revenues
    514050 € Unemployment 1 %
    Transport 98 %
    Crime rate 2 %
    Pollution 1 %

rank=341

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Ah, for those dear, dead days when it was accepted by all of society that the only form of address appropriate to, and necessary for, a teacher was <[Mr | Miss | Mrs] Surname>
      In the school I went to it was Sir or Miss.

We all had a copy of the school rule book; as I recall there were something like 140-odd rules. And of them, about 130 were odd.

When in the 2nd year I suddenly decided I would never call anyone Sir or Miss again. And there, in the rulebook, it said teachers shall be referred to as Sir or Miss or, alternatively when required, by their appropriate title and surname to get their attention. But the rule was ambiguous: surely we only ever speak to someone wanting their attention?

So I started using title and surname. I was the first in the school to do it.

I was given many detentions and sets of lines but was a right little barrack-room lawyer (and still am, really) so they couldn't make them stick. A lot of resentment was created but I won each time.

To this day I adhere to my rule. Nobody, but nobody, gets called 'Sir' or 'Miss' or 'Madam' or 'Ma'am' by me.

So, as in many things, having a "form of address appropriate to, and necessary for, a teacher was [Mr | Miss | Mrs] <Surname>" was actually a liberty that had been fought for.
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Other freedoms where I was in the vanguard:

- being allowed to wear white shirts (instead of grey) from the 4th year onward;

- being permitted to take all three sciences at O Level.
        Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

My experience was slightly different from that of Suggs.

All I really learned at school was how to bend or break the rules.

Useful experience for later life.

But there is a sorry list of other things that would have been more useful.

Comment

Morning BI

How are you?

Comment

Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

21 March: A new factory has just opened.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Nearly time for the flight - just popping in to wish VDF a happy birthday.
                  Ta muchly

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                    Mind you, I got another 120 pints brewing today. 2 x 40 ale and 40 pints of cider.

Lady VF suggested I could grow some hops on her allotment - I quite fancy giving that a go.

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                      I could murder a kebab.

But there's none to be had in this part of the world. Bugger all, in fact.
                      The stuff of nightmares, that.

Comment

Working...
                      X