• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Population
    2080 Revenues
    482250 € Unemployment 0 %
    Transport 99 %
    Crime rate 2 %
    Pollution 1 %

rank=334

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Speaking of systems engineering confusion, the traffic lights at the junction here seemed to have lost the plot when I was returning from the pub tonight.

When I arrived at them (as a pedestrian, obviously) they were red for both aspects of the crossroad, so I waited, there being a couple of vehicles also waiting on the main road.

After about thirty seconds in the wind and rain, I realised that they were never going to change - they'd fallen into some state of fail where, to be safe, they were remaining on red for all directions

So I hit the button on the "awaiting pedestrian" box. This input seemed to kick the whole system back into gear: the lights immediately turned green for the main road (not the intuitive response to pedestrian input, but I assume the system was doing what it had been programmed to do, and recovery from failure has to start somewhere) and, after the awaiting vehicles had cleared the junction, I crossed. Looking back, I saw that the system correctly moved on to the next phase of turning the main road lights red and the crossing road lights green.

The final confirmation that everything was hunky-dory would have been to wait for the main road to go through another green cycle and then (assuming that the system recovery hadn't wiped out the pedestrian request) switch into "pedestrian crossing" mode, for that comes after the main road green at this particular junction. But I wasn't going to hang around for that - the wind and rain are bitter

I believe we're entitled to snow tomorrow
      I drove via bank the day(Sunday) after Lord Mayor's show : lights had been left permanently on red! I inched through very carefully as everyone else was......

Comment

Although one has to bear in mind that the last time we tried to organise anything on TPD was giving Carling Wotsit the 21KPost - the merry mayhem was most entertaining to watch, as the denizens initially went into an uncontrolled frenzy of post deletion to give Carling her 21K, which then resulted in too many posts being deleted, until finally stasis was achieved - until the 100K post deletion, and then the random deletion the other month (around 130K, IIRC?)
        Thank goodness the 50k post deletion has finally been forgotten about.

Comment

Morning all

Network login problems stopped me saying

Byeeeee

Last night.

It didn't believe I was who I said I was... piece of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
            And I'm knocking it down.

El Bunk

got
            a
            00*

!!!
            !!!

Merely for completeness or something

*subject to revision in the event of newbie posts...

Quietly puts the newly routed Bonus Point away...

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post
              Come to show you Saturns rings?

.....i'm sure there's a joke there somewhere!

Comment

Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Population
                  2080 Revenues
                  482250 € Unemployment 0 %
                  Transport 99 %
                  Crime rate 2 %
                  Pollution 1 %

rank=334
                  04 March: The police force of TPDVille has been reinforced.

Comment

Speaking of systems engineering confusion, the traffic lights at the junction here seemed to have lost the plot when I was returning from the pub tonight.

When I arrived at them (as a pedestrian, obviously) they were red for both aspects of the crossroad, so I waited, there being a couple of vehicles also waiting on the main road.

After about thirty seconds in the wind and rain, I realised that they were never going to change - they'd fallen into some state of fail where, to be safe, they were remaining on red for all directions

So I hit the button on the "awaiting pedestrian" box. This input seemed to kick the whole system back into gear: the lights immediately turned green for the main road (not the intuitive response to pedestrian input, but I assume the system was doing what it had been programmed to do, and recovery from failure has to start somewhere) and, after the awaiting vehicles had cleared the junction, I crossed. Looking back, I saw that the system correctly moved on to the next phase of turning the main road lights red and the crossing road lights green.

The final confirmation that everything was hunky-dory would have been to wait for the main road to go through another green cycle and then (assuming that the system recovery hadn't wiped out the pedestrian request) switch into "pedestrian crossing" mode, for that comes after the main road green at this particular junction. But I wasn't going to hang around for that - the wind and rain are bitter

I believe we're entitled to snow tomorrow
                    It was obviously programmed by one (or more) of my students...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Morning all

How are we all today?
                      Not bad thanks, although I think I may be starting with a cold. How are you?

Typing of cold, it was bloody freezing out there this morning. There was ice on the inside of my car, so I took Lady VF's vehicle instead

Comment

Working...
                      X