• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      In other news:
      1. I've realised that working the contract I'll probably be offered tomorrow will make me about sixpence a week whether I drive for four hours a day or stay up there;
      2. I don't actually feel in the remotest degree enthused about it;
      3. I'm in a quandary, and wishing I hadn't fscked up the interview by winning it

It all started going wrong when when he asked about the difference between require, include, and include_once in PHP. (Interestingly, this was also asked of me at Y!, so it's clearly a regular point of fail for those who don't really understand PHP, and also an indicator that the interviewing chap is rather good.)

Silly old me had to answer the question correctly, but then carry on to say that Y! coding guidelines require that one use include in preference to include_once, as it offers a slight performance win.

Of course he didn't know this and was very impressed, saying that he'd look into it later. And of course the win only comes if you're running thousands of servers dealing with millions of requests. And it might, for all I know, just be an aspect of yPHP, the customised implementation used at Y! - and yes, they do contribute back to the PHP development community, but not all the security-related tricks - well, defences - they have up their sleeve.

But, being a geek, he'll now think that I'm a source of recondite knowledge and be biased in my favour

Having analysed the cost-benefit ratio since they dropped the rate, I've realised that I can't sensibly afford to take this contract. Worse than that, I've decided that I wouldn't find it interesting, and that spells Doom - I can only work on interesting (to me, not to the rest of the Universe) stuff.

I hope to goodness the alternative comes to fruition tomorrow
      Nice use of the LIST option - I never knew that!

I hope the better gig comes off : but for the worse gig could you negotiate on rate?

Personally I need to work (having 4 dependants is a big motivator!) : but I understand not everyone is like me. I do hope a good interesting gig comes up......

Comment

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post

tell all to tpd......

Comment

Population
          1963 Revenues
          453450 € Unemployment 1 %
          Transport 99 %
          Crime rate 1 %
          Pollution 2 %

rank=316

Comment

BrilloPad 20,202
            zeitghost 15,719
            cailin maith 11,907
            Diver 11,051
            DS23 10,002
            TheFaQQer 9,628
            NickFitz 9,047
            BrowneIssue 8,673
            voodooflux 7,771
            FiveTimes 7,159
            Bear 5,807
            El_Diablo 4,256
            Jog On 2,286
            HeliCraig 2,261

HC could move into 13th today with just a bit of drivelling.....

Comment

Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Heavy snow here overnight - and still snowing.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Population
                  1963 Revenues
                  453450 € Unemployment 1 %
                  Transport 99 %
                  Crime rate 1 %
                  Pollution 2 %

rank=316
                  06 February: New parks have been built in the city.

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
                    How are you?

Is HC okay?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
                      Heavy snow here overnight - and still snowing.
                      It was sleeting in LOndon : but those just arriving say it is snowing now.....

Comment

Working...
                      X