• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    There's a good reason for testing first on Firefox, if they're good developers. There's no good reason for them letting it fail in IE 6/7/8.

If it works correctly in Firefox, Opera, and Safari, then it's correct and has value. At most it takes a couple of bugfixes (which any webdev worth their salt knows) to coerce IE into working the way it would have done if it wasn't the worthless bug-ridden piece of shite that it is.

Of course there are a number of ways in which JScript exhibits epic fail when tested against the ECMAScript standard, but they're so obscure that your develpers won't be encountering them. (Although it's interesting that MS no longer make this document available for download, meaning it has to be downloaded via The Register - if you want it for future reference, save a local copy.)

Eight years ago I was willing to do stuff in a "works-in-IE4-and-that's-all-we-need-to-support" kind of way. If I encountered somebody today who claimed to be a competent webdev, yet espoused that attitude, I'd kick them down the stairs whilst shouting abuse at them for being a shoddy incompetent fool.
    If you aren't going to do things properly, there's no point doing them at all. Anybody who thinks "It works in IE, that's good enough" isn't doing it properly.

Doing it properly, and then making it work in IE as well, results in hours of time saved, and maybe an hour dealing with the IE problem. Even if IE is the only browser that will ever be used to view the application, doing it right and then sucking up to IE still saves hours in the hands of a competent developer. Anybody who tells you anything else is a liar. Or incompetent.

<RANT>
    At @media a couple of years ago, there was a big discussion (as a part of the conference) about the value of JS libraries, which were becoming a bit of a thing at the time. I think I'm correct in saying that every single one of us who created the Web Standards Project's DOM Scripting task force was present either in the audience or on the panel; and we were universally dismissive of such libraries - we all felt that people should take the trouble to understand the technology, and all the cross-browser grief involved.

A year later, every single one of us had changed our minds - the libraries had evolved to such a degree that, suddenly, all the pain was taken away. When the likes of Simon Willison, Stuart Langridge, ppk, and (dare I say it) myself are saying "Don't bother - just use JQuery or YUI" then you know things have changed. If your JS developers are still insisting on creating fail by writing JS that has different effects on different browsers, get rid. Even the best use JQuery (or YUI when working at Yahoo), and if your developers insist on reinventing wheels that are already nice and round, they're not doing anything useful - they're just making unnecessary work for themselves.
    </RANT>

Here endeth the first lesson

Gosh - sounds jolly aggresive!

I look forward to lesson 2.......

Comment

Morning all

Comment

Population
        1644 Revenues
        379100 € Unemployment 1 %
        Transport 99 %
        Crime rate 1 %
        Pollution 1 %

rank=292

I am the first visitor

Comment

I feel alot better today.......

Comment

last night I felt hungry for the first time since Thursday

Comment

I bought some mars bars for the kids - 5 for £1.55

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I bought some mars bars for the kids - 5 for £1.55
                And I heard them shouting "Brillopad eat me". But I resisted.

Comment

century drivel......

Comment

lurkers out!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      lurkers out!
                      BrilloPad
                      GreatestOfDads

century

Comment

Working...