• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by realityhack View Post

Morning all.
    Morning RH
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Morning all.
      Morning

How did the meeting go?
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
        Morning

How did the meeting go?
        Oioi VF...

R&D director virtually insisted that I stay in London and work with their team with the JD 'Technical Direction', working on UI design.
        Marketing director said he'd like a separate meeting with me, one-to-one, on Monday, to see if that's what I really want, or if I could be tempted to go with his team.
        I have an hour's meeting with R&D director this morning, to talk about 'my plans for the future'.
        So it's still up in the air. If I can talk R&D into making the role more creative and less deathly-dull, then I might stay. I get along with the people here, and know the territory.
        If Marketing would be prepared for me to have autonomy in the web role, and be more than a delivery function, define strategy and the like, then that role would be v tempting. However, I'd have to bring my plans, strategy and ideas for an ideal web team to the meeting on Monday - basically defining the role myself.

I'm told that no-one in Marketing has a clue about online - this could be a very good thing or an uphill struggle. The technical role is very dry - reskinning applications, developing dashboards etc.

So the jury's still out. Not sure how this 1 hr conversation with R&D director's going to pan out.

Comment

Or, I could just knock the whole thing on the head and tell them to go fudge themselves. I have enough experience now to jump to another client quite easily.

Comment

Or, I could just knock the whole thing on the head and tell them to go fudge themselves. I have enough experience now to jump to another client quite easily.
            Would you be able to jump into a role (similar to those proposed) with another client, or might it take some time to establish yourself there? It sounds like you're interested in both the roles being offered at the current client - what's making you consider jumping ship?
            Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

If I were you RH - i would try to define the Marketing role to suit you. Be creative, at least it has the possibility to be exciting each and every day. You say yourself that the techy role is very dry.

I'm in a situation where i am very fed up with the daily grind, it gets to the point where no amount of money makes it worthwhile. If it were very creative then at least it would feel different from time to time.
              Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post
                If I were you RH - i would try to define the Marketing role to suit you. Be creative, at least it has the possibility to be exciting each and every day. You say yourself that the techy role is very dry.

I'm in a situation where i am very fed up with the daily grind, it gets to the point where no amount of money makes it worthwhile. If it were very creative then at least it would feel different from time to time.
                Think of the Money
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
                  Would you be able to jump into a role (similar to those proposed) with another client, or might it take some time to establish yourself there? It sounds like you're interested in both the roles being offered at the current client - what's making you consider jumping ship?
                  Not really - it would take some time. The tech role comes with training and development that's client-specific, but industry standard enough to set me up nicely. The Marketing role is a fluke - it would be near-impossible to land that role with another client - circumstances prevail here, ie - I know the brand and the people, and I happen to be the most senior web person at the moment.
                  I was thinking of jumping ship as I was bored with working in finance, and the lack of a challenge, and the bureaucracy associated with getting anything done.

Comment

If I defined a role in Marketing, I'd initially only be able to recruit a team of 3. Not many people - somewhat of a challenge. I'm thinking 1 content editor, 1 senior dev, 1 middleweight, complimentary skillsets.
                    I could just go in, set up the team, get them up and running and bugger off with all the qudos of having done this. Or is that too selfish?

Comment

If I defined a role in Marketing, I'd initially only be able to recruit a team of 3. Not many people - somewhat of a challenge. I'm thinking 1 content editor, 1 senior dev, 1 middleweight, complimentary skillsets.
                      I could just go in, set up the team, get them up and running and bugger off with all the qudos of having done this. Or is that too selfish?
                      Nope - nothing is too selfish in business - don't think they wouldn't shaft you....
                      Bazza gets caught
                      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                      X