• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stately Home: Top Tip

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stately Home: Top Tip

If visiting Hatfield House, then be careful in the Long Gallery.

Went there yesterday. I mistakenly (it wasn't protected by the usual signs or fishing line, etc.) began to open the door of a cabinet there, to have a butcher's at the insides, only to be surrounded in about 0.000001 seconds by the elderly staff, who were shouting "DON'T TOUCH! DON'T TOUCH!!". The cabinet, it seems, is a one-off, best of it's type, worth £100Ks, etc. and nobody has had a peek inside for years. Good job I didn't tell them that the door nearly fell off when I opened it.
    Last edited by DBA_bloke; 24 September 2007, 15:35.

Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
    ... I mistakenly (it wasn't protected by the usual signs or fishing line, etc.) began to open the door of a cabinet there, to have a butcher's at the insides, only to be surrounded in about 0.000001 seconds by the elderly staff, who were shouting "DON'T TOUCH! DON'T TOUCH!!"..
    given your tag line i trust you went all the way round the house, back into the long gallery and then tried to open the cabinet door again?

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
      given your tag line i trust you went all the way round the house, back into the long gallery and then tried to open the cabinet door again?

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
        Developer scum.

Comment

Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
          Developer scum.
          A developer would go to Chatsworth House...
          Last edited by wendigo100; 26 September 2007, 08:28.

Comment

...have the cabinet brought there, then kick the door in.

Comment

Had the same thing happen in my old MFI kitchen last week. Scared the tulip out of me when a dozen old biddies started shouting.
              First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
              X