• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Studio photos

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Studio photos

When I got married, the missus and I went through which photos we liked and the wedding photographer bunged 'em in an album and charged us accordingly. He kept all the original photos for a period of 18 months after which he sent us an email saying "I'm going to delete these now but if you want them all stuck on a DVD, you can buy it for a reasonable sum". Seemed fair to me.

We had some family photos done the other day at a studio and they store the pics for 18 months and then delete them. They'll store them for longer if you want but sooner or later they'll delete them. You can order re-prints during this time of course, but you will never be given the originals.

Nothing wrong with protecting commercial interests, but if they go out of business or the framed prints we've bought get damaged, house catches fire, etc. there's no way of getting the prints recreated if they've deleted them. I think this is a bit out of order and the wedding photographer's policy is more reasonable, so I'm trying to get them to change their policy.

Anyone else had studio pictures done? What was their policy? Is what I'm asking the studio unreasonable?

Originally posted by Chugnut
    When I got married, the missus and I went through which photos we liked and the wedding photographer bunged 'em in an album and charged us accordingly. He kept all the original photos for a period of 18 months after which he sent us an email saying "I'm going to delete these now but if you want them all stuck on a DVD, you can buy it for a reasonable sum". Seemed fair to me.

We had some family photos done the other day at a studio and they store the pics for 18 months and then delete them. They'll store them for longer if you want but sooner or later they'll delete them. You can order re-prints during this time of course, but you will never be given the originals.

Nothing wrong with protecting commercial interests, but if they go out of business or the framed prints we've bought get damaged, house catches fire, etc. there's no way of getting the prints recreated if they've deleted them. I think this is a bit out of order and the wedding photographer's policy is more reasonable, so I'm trying to get them to change their policy.

Anyone else had studio pictures done? What was their policy? Is what I'm asking the studio unreasonable?
    We just got one of our original wedding photos put onto canvas for out 5 year aniversary with no problems.

The studio kept the copywrite and all reprints have to be done through them, but there has never been any mention of them being deleted at any time, otherwise they would be throwing away business.

Comment

Originally posted by r0bly0ns
      We just got one of our original wedding photos put onto canvas for out 5 year aniversary with no problems.

The studio kept the copywrite and all reprints have to be done through them, but there has never been any mention of them being deleted at any time, otherwise they would be throwing away business.
      Cheers r0bly0ns. It's the deleting thing I have issues with. They want to keep the copywright but remove the files when they feel like it. Ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
      X