• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Mornings: Forget It!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Mornings: Forget It!

As a newbie, I've just learned that posting anything on a Monday morn is futile. Haven't you lot heard of snorting coffee and mainlining Red Bull?

Originally posted by richard-af
    As a newbie, I've just learned that posting anything on a Monday morn is futile. Haven't you lot heard of snorting coffee and mainlining Red Bull?

What's up Richard...?

Comment

Originally posted by smee.again
      What's up Richard...?
      Monday morning ague. Less grouchy now.

Comment

Monday morning ague. Less grouchy now.

Yeah, I can relate to that. I left home at 3am to get to client site for 8. I stay down here all week then travel home |Friday.

By 12 on a Monday I am way past my best and starting to feel my grump pants digging in .......

Comment

Yeah, I can relate to that. I left home at 3am to get to client site for 8. I stay down here all week then travel home |Friday.

By 12 on a Monday I am way past my best and starting to feel my grump pants digging in .......
          Hmmm... could this develop into an interesting, but pointless Thread:

What's the longest you've stayed awake to get some work done?
          --or--
          What's the most frightening "Job-On-The-line" work you've done?

I'll start with 36 hours - to test Oracle backups - took me days to recover.
          --and--
          Did a 24-hour stint at Prague airport, owing to a sh*gged database - thought, until the last minute, that the database was lost forever, with my job seeming equally lost!

Comment

Hmmm... could this develop into an interesting, but pointless Thread:

--or--
            What's the most frightening "Job-On-The-line" work you've done?

I'll start with 36 hours - to test Oracle backups - took me days to recover.
            --and--
            Did a 24-hour stint at Prague airport, owing to a sh*gged database - thought, until the last minute, that the database was lost forever, with my job seeming equally lost!

After a particularly tough week working in a Contact Centre managing a release fo the main CRM app, we started rolling out on the Saturday. My team and I worked a long day Sat and started early on the Sunday. By about tea time on Sunday, a fault was discovered. The client then decided that we had to roll back. It took me and a member of my team (I had let the others go home) until 8am Monday morning to get it complete. When I had finished, my teams were coming back to work and I had the other senior managers to brief, work to do etc so ended up staying until the end of the day!!!

I was a permie and remember thinking "I ain't getting paid enough for this".

Now...I do my 8 hours....

Comment

I was a permie and remember thinking "I ain't getting paid enough for this".

Now...I do my 8 hours....
              Too right.

Comment

Worked on a project in the USA first drop to the client on Monday morning. My team were last to deliver code on Thursday morning, working ok until that point. Then the application crash on startup, couldn't even get any info from the debugger. Stayed untill Monday morning to get it fixed, and it was not even my code, someone else was overwriting memory it was only when our code was added it caused a problem. 72 hour no sleep.
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked
                  Worked on a project in the USA first drop to the client on Monday morning. My team were last to deliver code on Thursday morning, working ok until that point. Then the application crash on startup, couldn't even get any info from the debugger. Stayed untill Monday morning to get it fixed, and it was not even my code, someone else was overwriting memory it was only when our code was added it caused a problem. 72 hour no sleep.
                  72 hours? F--- me!

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked

Did you find yourself getting grumpy at that point Miss Evil Edna??

Comment

Working...
                    X