• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Riddles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrRobin
    <Roy Walker>It's good but it's not right</Roy Walker>
    Stays the same as the same amount of water is displaced regardless of whether the rock is in the boat or in the pond.

Comment

While the rock is in the boat, it's displacing water by weight, once the rock hits the bottom, it's displacing water by volume.

As the rock is heavier than the weight of water displaced by its volume, otherwise it would not sink, the water level would drop?

Comment

Well, I'll put you all out of your misery then. The water level drops, this is why:

Whilst the rock is in the boat, the volume of water displaced is proportional to the rock's weight. When it is in the water, the volume of water displaced is just equal to the rock's volume. Since the density of the rock is more than the water (because it sinks), the volume of water to support the weight of the rock is more then the volume of the rock itself and therefore less water is displaced and the level drops.

Easy when you know how and now you'll be prepared for interviews at Burdock's client.
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by Pinto
          While the rock is in the boat, it's displacing water by weight, once the rock hits the bottom, it's displacing water by volume.

As the rock is heavier than the weight of water displaced by its volume, otherwise it would not sink, the water level would drop?
          Yes! Well done have a star

It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Cheers

Comment

Now!
              Let's factor in the consistency & density of the bottom of the pond ?
              The depth of the pond over specific gravity of the water ?
              (average 0.445 Lb's per square inch for salt water 0.433 for fresh, brackish anywhere between)
              The specific volume over density/weight of the rock ?
              The ammount of turbulance/wave action caused by depositing the rock in the water. (waves that carry water up the banks of the pond that cause depletion) ?
              The porosity of the material that constitutes the rock ?
              The adherence of water to the hull of the vessel as weight is lessened and the hull rises in the water ?
              The Heizenberg uncertainty principle

Oh it is not a perfect world. - Never ever deal in absolutes
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I was a bit slow in posting that follow up wasn't I
                Somebody beat me to it
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

What if the rock had inclusions that were soluble?

Comment

Working...
                  X