• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Riddles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riddles

I don't know how famous this is. I heard it at Uni in the days before t'Net, and it took me a couple of weeks (not continuous!) scouring the A-Z...

What is the only London underground station that does not contain any of the letters from the word 'mackerel' in its name?!

If this is solved within 2 weeks I assume someone has cheated!!

St John's Wood?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
      St John's Wood?
      Yep.

Also, it is the only station with no letters from the word "blackberry" or "paperclip" or "algebra".

Oxford Circus is the only station with no letters from the word "wavelength".

Russel Square is the only station with no letters from the word "photocopying".

etc.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
        St John's Wood?
        you cheating hound!!!

Comment

Here's a good brainteaser

You're standing in a small boat on a small pond and also in the boat is a large heavy rock. You pick the rock up and chuck it in the water and it quickly sinks to the bottom.

Does the water level on the pond rise, fall or stay the same?
          It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin

You're standing in a small boat on a small pond and also in the boat is a large heavy rock. You pick the rock up and chuck it in the water and it quickly sinks to the bottom.

I was asked this at a job interview!!! I stammered and stuttered for 10 mins...and got it wrong...only just tho

Comment

Water level would remain the same, the displacement created by the hull of the boat would decrease to the same volume as the diplacement created by volume of the rock.
              in a perfect world that is
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver
                Water level would remain the same, the displacement created by the hull of the boat would decrease to the same volume as the diplacement created by volume of the rock.
                <Roy Walker>It's good but it's not right</Roy Walker>

Comment

<Roy Walker>It's good but it's not right</Roy Walker>
                  The displacement of the water by the hull of the boat will depend on a) your weight and b) the weight of the rock.

The moment the rock leaves the boat but immediately before it hits the water and sinks to the bottom, the water level would go down since the boat is displacing less water (i.e. less weight).

When the rock hits the water and sinks, the water level in the pond will rise, but without knowing more about the rock, it's impossible to say if the water level will rise to below, the same or higher than the level it was at at the very start.

Or am I making this too complicated?

Comment

You're almost there Kyajae but you don't need any more info about the rock.

Hint:

it quickly sinks to the bottom

Comment

Working...
                    X