• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How guilty is Michael Barrymore?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How guilty is Michael Barrymore?

Barrymore arrested over death

Michael Barrymore has been arrested along with two other men over the death of Stuart Lubbock.
    Mr Lubbock, 31, was found by the swimming pool at the TV star's house near Harlow, Essex, in March 2001.

Mr Barrymore, 55, and two men, aged 37 and 32, have been arrested on suspicion of serious sexual assault and murder.

Essex Police said the 37-year-old man had been arrested in Lancashire and the 32-year-old man was taken into custody in Staffordshire.

What we've been campaigning for over the past 18 months is for somebody to be charged and brought to court
    Tony Bennett, lawyer

Mr Lubbock had been among a number of people at a party at Mr Barrymore's home in Roydon in the hours before his body was found.

Post-mortem tests showed that he died as a result of drowning.

An inquest into his death recorded an open verdict after hearing he had also suffered severe internal injuries which suggested sexual assault.

Alcohol, ecstasy and cocaine were found in his bloodstream.

An investigation was carried out by Essex Police at the time of Mr Lubbock's death, but no-one was charged with any offence.

Father's campaign

In December 2006, Essex Police began a new inquiry.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) also launched an investigation.

Following the arrests, the IPCC said it had placed on hold its inquiry into complaints from the family arising from the original Essex Police investigation.

Mr Lubbock's father, Terry, 62, of Harlow, said: "I am really pleased. It feels like it is the end of a long struggle."

He said he did not know what new evidence police had.

Mr Lubbock's brother, Kevin, 39, also of Harlow, added: "I am really happy this has all come to light. It's been a long time... I am a bit numb."

Mr Lubbock's lawyer, Tony Bennett, said: "I am really quite surprised and shocked by the news that one of them might be Michael Barrymore.

"We've always thought he may have known more but up till now we've never had any indication that he might have been involved in the actual assault, and Terry Lubbock has never actually alleged that and neither have I.

"What we've been campaigning for over the past 18 months is for somebody to be charged and brought to court."
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

What is a hotspot not?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Top, middle or bottom
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect
        Top, middle or bottom

Awight!

Comment

Do you think the injuries were caused by:

A wine bottle
          Chair leg
          Hampster
          Forearm

Still it's all perfectly natural and of equal value to hetrosexual relationships
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

armageddon.....

Comment

what was the Michael Barrymore joke that went about at the time? something to do with a pool and buggering if I remember rightly.

dody memory

Comment

Originally posted by Burdock
                what was the Michael Barrymore joke that went about at the time? something to do with a pool and buggering if I remember rightly.

dody memory
                Was it the one about the three dead arabs found at the bottom of his pool?

Comment

Originally posted by Rantor
                  Was it the one about the three dead arabs found at the bottom of his pool?
                  dont think so, but i'd like to hear it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Burdock
                    dont think so, but i'd like to hear it!!
                    It appears they were Suicide Bummers.

Not very PC I know but it my lesbetarian sister told me it so it must be ok.

Comment

Working...
                    X