• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

pre IR35 Company account surplus

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pre IR35 Company account surplus

Apologies, if this has been asked elsewhere....
    I've been trawling around but haven't found anything...

Just curious what ex-limited company contractors were doing with funds built up in their limited co bank accounts
    pre-April 2021 when IR35 took over?

I'd already maxed out my annual SIPP contributions for 19/20, and am using the "salary sacrifice" on my IR35/Umbrella arrangement to
    maximise contributions for this financial year.

Is it better just to take a big dividend or just leave the cash "resting"?

(My accountant isn't particularly good for advice on such matters)

thanks
    J

There are probably wrong answers to this question, but not really any right answers. Depends entirely on your circumstances. For example, if you expect to get work outside IR35 in the reasonably near future, it could make sense to retain the company and its funds, otherwise consider a striking off (< £25k) or MVL (>> £25k). Not much point in taking a dividend unless you need it (because, yes, you can potentially use it more efficiently in future), but if you need it, take it.

Comment

thanks James!
      I'm more or less resigned to be stuck in IR35 for good, so will probably look at the options for eventually closing the company down.
      It's approx £50k still in account.

Comment

Originally posted by dinosaur View Post
        thanks James!
        I'm more or less resigned to be stuck in IR35 for good, so will probably look at the options for eventually closing the company down.
        It's approx £50k still in account.
        In that case, it's probably worth considering an MVL (i.e., closure with capital treatment of the retained funds). But. But. But. You really should think carefully about this because you won't be able to open a new company engaged "in the same or a similar trade or activity" within two-years of receiving the final capital distribution without forfeiting that capital treatment. So you've got to be pretty sure you aren't coming back to contracting outside of IR35 for 2-3 years (2 from the final distribution), otherwise you'll be continuing with a brolly.

Comment

Thanks James that's really helpful...very much appreciated.
          I'll look into the details of MVL, and weigh things up.

Comment

Working...
          X