• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Confusion - how do I compare?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 Confusion - how do I compare?

Hi all,

Firstly apologies if this is something that is covered but I’ve searched and searched and I’m just getting more confused. I’ve only been contracting for a few months and while now being caught in IR35 isn’t unexpected, I’m confused about the new rates I’ve been quoted by my agency and I can’t find anywhere to help compare them.

Can anyone advise what they think is the best choice? Are they about the same? Even if you could share a calculator to help compare that would be great...

My agency has said that I can work with an umbrella, they can work with me as a deemed contractor and do my NI and tax at source for no extra cost or I can do PAYE (and get holiday). The quoted day rates are:

Umbrella contractor: £350
    Deemed ltd: £306
    PAYE: £260

I’m not precious about keeping an Ltd company as I will be having a baby in August so won’t be working most of the year (and am then undecided about whether to continue contracting). Also my expenses aren’t huge - maybe £2k a year - not sure if that makes a difference.

Ultimately I just want to make sure I’m not getting ripped off and if it’s not really much difference then for the sake of simplicity I’ll go with the least paperwork.

Thanks in advance!

The contract rate agreed with the umbrella company will be higher than the rate offered to you if you engage directly with they agency as they will be taking on employer responsibilities rather than the umbrella company.

Quite a few threads asking the same thing here.

different rate paye umbrella site:contractoruk.com/forums - Google Search
    Last edited by northernladuk; 12 March 2020, 01:07.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      The contract rate agreed with the umbrella company will be higher than the rate offered to you if you engage directly with they agency as they will be taking on employer responsibilities rather than the umbrella company.

Quite a few threads asking the same thing here.

different rate paye umbrella site:contractoruk.com/forums - Google Search
      Thanks for the reply!

So, am I right in thinking that if the agency is looking after the employer contributions, my day rate would be £306 and I would operate and pay corporation tax etc as I do already but just with that lower day rate? (But without an expense allowance too)?

Comment

Originally posted by JessMatt View Post
        Thanks for the reply!

So, am I right in thinking that if the agency is looking after the employer contributions, my day rate would be £306 and I would operate and pay corporation tax etc as I do already but just with that lower day rate? (But without an expense allowance too)?
        WhAts your current rate ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          WhAts your current rate ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
          Current rate is £350 per day outside IR35

Comment

I wrote something on this with a visual explainer IR35: Engagement types

Comment

Originally posted by ComplianceLady View Post
              I wrote something on this with a visual explainer IR35: Engagement types
              Thanks that is really handy!

I’m thinking that for simplicity then an umbrella company may be the way to go.

Comment

Working...
              X