• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What happens if your client DOESN'T make a determination?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens if your client DOESN'T make a determination?

I'm sure I'm not the only one with a client who has yet to make a determination as to wether or not I will be inside come 6th April.

What happens if they just continue to sit on the fence?
    Contracting is like plumbing. You're your own boss until you walk into someone's house and they tell you to take your shoes off.

They won't. They will just declare you inside at the last minute.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you work direct and not via an agency, it's difficult to know how HMRC would find those companies.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        If you work direct and not via an agency, it's difficult to know how HMRC would find those companies.
        I'm through an agency, the contract was deemed outside as part of the usual checks before signing.
        Contracting is like plumbing. You're your own boss until you walk into someone's house and they tell you to take your shoes off.

Comment

hmm.

I suspect you will get one but if they leave it to the last minute you are more likely to be over a barrel. You may be more likely to stay & take the cut (just until you get something better). This may leave you open to a retro investigation if you "switch to" inside.

Lot of presumptions here from me.
          Lisa: "Gary, you can't blame yourself for what gorillas did."

Comment

Originally posted by InsertWittyNameHere555 View Post
            I'm through an agency, the contract was deemed outside as part of the usual checks before signing.
            "Deemed" prior to the implementation of any new rules in April. There will likely be a completely different determination in due course. Clients who do not make a public determination prior to April are, IMHO, most likely hoping that their contractors will just swallow an inside determination late in the day.
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
            Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by babybel View Post
              I suspect you will get one but if they leave it to the last minute you are more likely to be over a barrel. You may be more likely to stay & take the cut (just until you get something better). This may leave you open to a retro investigation if you "switch to" inside.

Lot of presumptions here from me.
              I fear that may be the case, the fact that the agency has stupidly long payment terms means time is running out!

Comment

If you don't get SDS by 28th Feb, terminate. Take March off and use that time to assess the market.

Comment

Technically under the legislation the end client is solely responsible if the agency continues to pay you gross and HMRC later dispute this.

That's not something I'd ever want to rely on though.

Comment

Working...
                  X