• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dust settles - what happened?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    They would be illegal - the fee payer is liable for the decision.

Even if they weren't, you'd be silly to accept such a clause - if the agent has a problem with the determination then the place for them to claw the tax back is from the client who made the decision not the contractor who accepted it,
    Agreed. I had such a clause amended to specifically rule out any such liability. I'd much rather it was just removed but was able to live with off-payroll specifically being excluded.

Comment

Last contract ended in March. It was outside IR35 (contract and working practices reviewed and signed off).

Having a gap of a month (while they were figuring things out) and now going back to same client in May. Different agent, different contract and inside IR35.

Got about a 6% increase on previous rate.

Going through a brolly (for the first time). Will probably just close my Ltd down once everything looks ok (following the advice I got from these forums, after having some time to think about it).

To be honest, after having some time to absorb and reflect - I'm now quite looking forward to getting rid of all the hassle and IR35 worries of running the Ltd for the last 10 years and just getting a simple weekly paycheck. Hopefully this gig will last a couple of years and I can just crack on and watch what unfolds before deciding what to do next.
      This, Jen, is the Internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Moss View Post
        That's not very much considering the tax hit they've dished out to you.
        To be honest, after having some time to absorb and reflect - I'm now quite looking forward to getting rid of all the hassle and IR35 worries of running the Ltd for the last 10 years and just getting a simple weekly paycheck.
        I can see the appeal in that, but you've probably given up more than a quarter of your take home pay for that peace of mind. If it is worth it to you, fine.

I've said in the past I'd be fine with a 5% increase in the dividend tax if they'd kill IR35 once and for all. The peace of mind would definitely be worth that. But I wouldn't say the same if they slashed my take-home by a quarter, or a third.

Comment

Last contract ended in March. It was outside IR35 (contract and working practices reviewed and signed off).

Having a gap of a month (while they were figuring things out) and now going back to same client in May. Different agent, different contract and inside IR35.

Going through a brolly (for the first time). Will probably just close my Ltd down once everything looks ok (following the advice I got from these forums, after having some time to think about it).

To be honest, after having some time to absorb and reflect - I'm now quite looking forward to getting rid of all the hassle and IR35 worries of running the Ltd for the last 10 years and just getting a simple weekly paycheck. Hopefully this gig will last a couple of years and I can just crack on and watch what unfolds before deciding what to do next.
          Hmm Aren't you concerned about retrospective investigation? Is this the same role (or could be argued to be)?

Think about it - HMRC potentially have a piece of paper saying the role is inside IR35 and then they're going to say - well how was it outside before?
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post

I can see the appeal in that, but you've probably given up more than a quarter of your take home pay for that peace of mind. If it is worth it to you, fine.

I've said in the past I'd be fine with a 5% increase in the dividend tax if they'd kill IR35 once and for all. The peace of mind would definitely be worth that. But I wouldn't say the same if they slashed my take-home by a quarter, or a third.
            6% nah. I just took an inside role (no previous work there so no retrospective worries) in which they'd upped the rate by 30% to accomodate. Which works for me.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Hmm Aren't you concerned about retrospective investigation? Is this the same role (or could be argued to be)?

Think about it - HMRC potentially have a piece of paper saying the role is inside IR35 and then they're going to say - well how was it outside before?
              I am concerned. However, given that I've had over a month between contract start and end date, and the new contract is a new contract with a different agency, and the old one got contract and working practices reviewed and signed off by client as being outside - I'm hoping that's enough to make it not worth investigating if it ever comes up. Plus I'm going to close down my Limited, which should help.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                I'm happy with it though. It's an increase on an already decent rate and on a great project/tech and perfect location so works for me. I'm pretty sure I couldn't get much more from them, and it's better than any alternative I can see at present.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Do HMRC have any information that says "this person is doing the same role"? Do they have any information that says "this role is the same"? Do they have any information other than "this person used to appear on the agency reporting requirements and now doesn't"?
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

roles popping up stating 'Outside IR35' -

Jobserve Linky
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                      roles popping up stating 'Outside IR35' -

Jobserve Linky
                      Odd that (not)....
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X