• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector IR35- move to fixed term contract? Advice required urgently kind people

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackbird17 View Post
    What's ER? ( excuse my ignorance)
    Entrepreneurs Relief
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

I've finally decided - I'm going to go for the FTC.....

Comment

Thanks Dotas

Comment

Originally posted by hollyblue View Post
          Can you close your Ltd Co quickly? I thought it had to stay open for a further year in order to pay your dues up?
          "Quickly" is relative. I don't remember the specifics, but seems like you have to get final accounts done and there has to be a couple months notice. Takes 3-4 months total, maybe.

If someone is clearly inside and they do this to try to avoid IR35 investigation, HMRC might "pierce the veil" and hold the director responsible for tax evasion. So it's not a great idea if you know you really should be inside.

But if you can argue that you legitimately thought you were outside, especially if you had contract reviews, etc, then there's something to be said for doing this just to prevent them trying to drag up something old on you.

I don't know, maybe trying to close a company right now would draw their attention. It's possible -- no one really knows what will trigger investigations in the next six months. If OP is thinking of contracting again in a year, and doesn't want to get hit with a big dividend tax right now, it may make the most sense to keep it open, anyway.

Comment

Working...
          X