• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Implications from April - Converting to work thru Umbrella company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quality View Post
    Your response sounds a tad disrespectful but I will let that go. I said the EXISTING tool, so ESI.
    ESI tells me that I am self employed.

I am not self employed.

The ESI is fairly meaningless.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I can see why he's confused. There do seem to be a number of disrespectful tools around.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
        I think it is a lot less likely, if you go umbrella, that your historical contracts will be investigated. There will be no formal determination by the client that you are under IR35. Their old contract for your services was with an agency. Their new contract is with a completely different entity, the umbrella.

If you stay Ltd and are determined to be inside, they'll almost certainly look at old contracts. I think there is a risk of it if you go umbrella, especially if a 90% of the contractors at the PSB go brolly -- they'll say, "Ha, it's obvious what was happening here, we'll go after these guys." But the risk is a lot lower if you go brolly, probably.

Should you have been inside? If so, maybe you should just pay your taxes, rather than live in fear that they are going to catch up with you.
        +1

I think this is exactly the end game that HMRC want; if you come quietly, they'll accept that you've taken what they see as the right steps. What needs to happen, though, is an appreciation of expenses and that these should be met by the client in terms of travel and accommodation in some way or other, but not to the extent that this results in the candidate nearest the client getting the gig by default.

If you fight, they'll fight back.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I am just considering what best to do, knew I'd be ok to leave the decision till late as contracts up just in time to not fall under April 6th deadline.....they want me to stay but to be quite honest I'd be better off just looking at real people jobs closer to home than staying here on Umbrella, and then there's the possibility of this previously outside IR35 contract all of a sudden being in being a big signal to HMRC that they can come and investigate.

They've suggested declaring In well before the changes, not sure I am up for that don't see how that will help....they've suggested a stretch of time off then coming back under a new role under Umbrella, that seems a little more feasible but like I say, the difference in pay would be massive. Most of all I am very keen not to get back taxed for the last 9 months I am not too bothered about staying here....I can make any decisions about accepting in/out new contracts in sound knowledge I'm complying with tax laws then. I guess it could be a lot worse than 9 months looking on the bright side, they'll have a job going back further as the last company has thankfully liquidated. I'd be pretty confident of that being outside anyway.

It's a shame as they really need me and I quite like it here

Comment

Originally posted by Manwell Pablo View Post
            I am just considering what best to do, knew I'd be ok to leave the decision till late as contracts up just in time to not fall under April 6th deadline.....they want me to stay but to be quite honest I'd be better off just looking at real people jobs closer to home than staying here on Umbrella, and then there's the possibility of this previously outside IR35 contract all of a sudden being in being a big signal to HMRC that they can come and investigate.

They've suggested declaring In well before the changes, not sure I am up for that don't see how that will help....they've suggested a stretch of time off then coming back under a new role under Umbrella, that seems a little more feasible but like I say, the difference in pay would be massive. Most of all I am very keen not to get back taxed for the last 9 months I am not too bothered about staying here....I can make any decisions about accepting in/out new contracts in sound knowledge I'm complying with tax laws then. I guess it could be a lot worse than 9 months looking on the bright side, they'll have a job going back further as the last company has thankfully liquidated. I'd be pretty confident of that being outside anyway.

It's a shame as they really need me and I quite like it here
            If it's the expenses that are a big kicker, see if they can do anything about covering them for you - 10% on top of your current day rate plus hotel and return train ticket versus outside IR35 wouldn't be too bad if your expenses are significant.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
              ESI tells me that I am self employed.

I am not self employed.

The ESI is fairly meaningless.
              I was advised by a lawyer who said far differently. He said if you run through it as if you were self-employed rather than Ltd, and their own tool says you are not employed by your engager, that it would be very helpful in an IR35 defence. IR35 is based on the argument that your working practices show that you are a hidden employee, so if their own tool says you aren't an employee, he'd love to have that in defending a case. He's killed two enquiries at an early stage with that as the primary tool at his disposal.

FWIW. Probably somewhat depends on the investigator.

Comment

Working...
              X