• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Simple fix for IR35 PS Problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I'm reminded of 1999/2000. Many ideas floated for fixing IR35, but matters didn't become clear for several years... and then became muddy again with the "actual working practices".
    Yes, I was getting that "Groundhog Day" feeling as well...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by teapot418 View Post
      The claim from HMRC is that only 10% of those who are inside are declaring themselves as such. Not that 90% are inside.
      Yep and elsewhere most estimates I've seen say that 40-60% of contractors probably should be inside. And given that at my last place 80% were (I knew of 10 only me and 1 other were in anyway outside) I would say that's probably about right...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        You just reminded me I know a few more people who either employed, employ or sub-contracted people through their contracting firms and so can (or did) substitute people.

In some cases it was an accident like my own case, while in others it's purposely done. In all cases it is not due to a tick box.
        I brought in a friend to do the testing part of the development for me because it was part of my role that I hate, he's better at it than I am, and he's cheaper - so while still charging the client my full whack I could make money and get someone better to do that bit of the project for me. Client was happy for me to do that.

I've also had other colleagues do the mundane work for me where the client hasn't even been aware that I have brought someone else in to do the work - they pay my company to deliver and as long as someone competent is delivering and my company is responsible for that, they have no need to get involved in the details.

I don't employ any of these people, but I have brought them in to do the work on behalf of my company.
        First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Working...
        X