• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Results of the public sector consultation is up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't read that link, but I wasn't referring to engineers per se, most of that is covered by the contract with C2HM Hill, I was referring to IT, Procurement, HR, Finance, Legal, Economists, Surveyors etc

Comment

Originally posted by seeourbee View Post
      HS2 has a problem then, 65% of their workforce are contractors
      The government is wrongly presuming they won't find work elsewhere and won't want to work anywhere else.

When I was writing to my MP about tax changes I used engineering as an example rather than financial as IPSE stated in their template letter.

Simply because the engineers I personally know can up sticks to work elsewhere in the world, and lots of the ones working on projects like Cross Rail are foreign. The ones I know who won't move are near retirement age and will retire if it becomes too much hassle.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        The government is wrongly presuming they won't find work elsewhere and won't want to work anywhere else.

When I was writing to my MP about tax changes I used engineering as an example rather than financial as IPSE stated in their template letter.

Simply because the engineers I personally know can up sticks to work elsewhere in the world, and lots of the ones working on projects like Cross Rail are foreign. The ones I know who won't move are near retirement age and will retire if it becomes too much hassle.
        the ones I know usually work on new construction rather than maintenance so jet off to whereever the next interesting project is starting up... Which means you pay market rate after tax or they move earlier...
        Last edited by eek; 7 December 2016, 08:34.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The tax advantages of being Ltd make staying in the UK worthwhile. Close that advantage and emigrating starts to look more attractive.

Comment

I think the interesting part is that the government has struggled so very hard to get out of the claws of the usual big SI's and HMRC was leading that charge. To have suddenly caused so much collateral damage that most departments will have little choice other than almost double key contractors rates or go back to the arms of the SI's is unfortunate. Ill thought through (as always) and will reduce the governments ability to use flexible resources.

I think HMRC are in for a very nasty shock if they think their assumptions on full taxes without employment rights will stand I have no problems paying taxes and have happily paid close to half a million in them since I started contracting.

All in all its a mess that will have far reaching impacts.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotsauce56 View Post
              Guys im a long time lurker on these forums and have watched your musings on this matter with intrigue.

Im in a PS contract which ive been undertaking since Dec 2015. Ive been looking for an out since I got wind of this stuff in March.

Today of all days ive been offered a private sector contract. However - they will be providing me to, you guessed it...the public sector.

As far as I can understand ill be inside. The relationship goes - public sector body > private sector tech company > agency > me (ltd).

Below is the sell I have received from the recruiter;;

Hi X,

The guy currently in the position puts in a minimum of 40 Hours per week – just as an idea of how many he puts in last week was 42 Hours.

The vacancy would sit with private sector company so therefore from an IR35 point of view you would be safe as you would be contracting to the private sector.

private sector company would then therefore be providing a consultancy service to public sector body and you wouldn’t be doing so directly for them.

The contract would lie between private sector company and yourself.

What are your thoughts on this and the rate?

What do you guys think? Do you know anyone who you think could conduct a reliable contract review at this stage? Cheers
              Same situation as me but I wouldnt be that confident. But agent is going to say that because he wants you to take the gig.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
                Agreed. Meant to add, client co not PS, just looking forward. There have been a few of us here talking about this. We know the shared ownership thing is an issue, but considering setting up a consultancy of our own.
                A very common thing to do abroad, where limited companies can't be set up with just one person anyway.

Comment

Results of the public sector consultation is up

So isn't the answer to all of this for the Agency to form a consultancy of say 100 people on its books (operating via ltd companies themselves) and place interim staff in PS bodies ?
                  Last edited by seeourbee; 7 December 2016, 10:12.

Comment

Originally posted by seeourbee View Post
                    So isn't the answer to all of this for the Agency to form a consultancy of say 100 people on its books (operating via ltd companies themselves) and place interim staff in PS bodies ?
                    Wouldn't they still be deemed inside, just like consultancy co workers would be through a traditional consultancy?
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Bloody Hell this is scary!!

From https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-public-sector

13.However, the underlying rules that determine whether or not an individual working through their own company should be paying employment taxes still apply to the private sector. This means a worker found to be within the rules by a public sector body is likely to also be within the rules if they were to do the same job in the private sector. Therefore moving from the public sector to a similar role in the private sector will not automatically remove the obligation for an individual to pay employment taxes.
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X