• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying in the same public sector contract after April 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
    Start looking NOW and you may still avoid the stampede.
    The more forward thinking people have been making their exits more or less discreetly for months now...
    I'm currently in the PS & did a quick straw poll of the other 7 contractors here yesterday after the Autumn Statement.

Unbelievably 5 out of the 7 didn't know what I was talking about and the other two said "they'll worry about it at the time".

Are 90% of contractors really that stupid?

I'll be leaving here in January to give me two months to find a private sector gig which will probably keep me contracting for one or two more years (depending on when they hit private too).

Comment

Originally posted by Gaz_M View Post
      I'm currently in the PS & did a quick straw poll of the other 7 contractors here yesterday after the Autumn Statement.

Unbelievably 5 out of the 7 didn't know what I was talking about and the other two said "they'll worry about it at the time".

Are 90% of contractors really that stupid?

I'll be leaving here in January to give me two months to find a private sector gig which will probably keep me contracting for one or two more years (depending on when they hit private too).
      They deserve to get caught out with a complacent attitude like that. I buggered off from PS first chance I got after the MoD introduced enforced IR35. You only have to look at what happened with UKHO to see what could happen in April to everywhere else. I think the sooner you get out, the better.

IR35 dispute prompts mass walkout of IT contractors from MoD agency

Comment

I'm wondering if there is some wishful thinking on the actual possibility of a mass exodus to the private sector form the PS. Where are the roles in the private sector people expect to migrate to.
        The FS institution I work for has released scores of contractors in the last year. I've never been sent PS CVs - I think rightly or wrongly the perception is that PS contractors don't have the commitment or flexibility for the Private Sector, particularly those that have been there for years in essentially the same role.

Comment

Originally posted by QCApproved View Post
          I'm wondering if there is some wishful thinking on the actual possibility of a mass exodus to the private sector form the PS. Where are the roles in the private sector people expect to migrate to.
          The FS institution I work for has released scores of contractors in the last year. I've never been sent PS CVs - I think rightly or wrongly the perception is that PS contractors don't have the commitment or flexibility for the Private Sector, particularly those that have been there for years in essentially the same role.
          Agree, and yet there must be a real fear that HMRC will take the line post April 2017.

"Ok you were a contractor who alleged you were outside IR35 last week, now you are inside, and yet your working conditions are no different."

Worrying indeed. Will IR35 investigations increase?
          http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Originally posted by LandRover View Post
            Agree, and yet there must be a real fear that HMRC will take the line post April 2017.

"Ok you were a contractor who alleged you were outside IR35 last week, now you are inside, and yet your working conditions are no different."

Worrying indeed. Will IR35 investigations increase?
            Knowing HMRC it wouldn't surprise me but putting that aside for the moment, a reason people will be inside now is not because they should be inside working practice wise, but purely because HMRC have dictated that they're inside and therefore a retro investigation is inappropriate, but this is HMRC so no need to be appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
              Knowing HMRC it wouldn't surprise me but putting that aside for the moment, a reason people will be inside now is not because they should be inside working practice wise, but purely because HMRC have dictated that they're inside and therefore a retro investigation is inappropriate, but this is HMRC so no need to be appropriate.
              This.
              If there is perception (correct or not) that there is money to be made, believe they will go for it.
              As someone wrote on AccountingWeb, HMRC are not a tax collection authority anymore, they are a highway robber.

Plan accordingly.
              Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Agree DR nothing can be ruled out retro or otherwise

Comment

Originally posted by QCApproved View Post
                  Absolutely agree.
                  The level of hubris amongst contractors at large is much higher that we ever imagined.
                  The attitude to the APN legislation was an eye opener.
                  Yes, many are really "that stupid".
                  Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Given the way projects seem to be run in the PS no wonder so much tax needs to be collected in the first place. There appears to be no location strategy/offshoring etc not to mention huge pension provisions etc - its about time these organs of the state were more prudent with our money. Then they might not need to hold us up for so much.

Comment

No matter what - I'll just go the umbrella route and stay contracting. Still earning more and still free to make my own decisions.

Not sure what is a better solution to be honest.

Comment

Working...
                      X