• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't muddy your appeal letters with requests for information.

There are example of appeal letters in the first post of the main thread.

Or MJ Perry's original letter WITHOUT the questions at the end.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Edge Resourcing Closed

Hello,

I received the following email from Michelle Booth of Edge Resourcing on July 16, 2013:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Good afternoon,

I trust this email finds you all well.
      During the course of last week a few of you made contact with me to notify me that you have received a Self Assessment – Late Payment Surcharge Notice. While it is not definite that you will all receive this notice, it is likely that you will and I’d therefore like to suggest what to do in the event that you do receive this latest communication from HMRC.
      The notice seeks to levy a 5% surcharge for the late payment of the 2008 / 2009 tax demand HMRC issued earlier this year (an example of which is linked here). However, the correspondence received in respect of the appeal you lodged against this tax demand clearly states that the appeal has been accepted and the value of the demand postponed for collection. Therefore, as stated by HMRC in their correspondence, the amount payable on the demand is zero and nothing needs to be paid. As the amount payable is zero there can be no surcharge for late payment applied as payment has been postponed and is not due.
      As mentioned, while it is not conclusive that you will all receive this letter, if you do you can use the following template to respond to HMRC.
      I trust this should prove sufficient at this stage, should you however have any further queries, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,
      Michelle
      General Manager

www.edge-resourcing.com
      T: 0845 2870400
      F: 01624 677747
      M: 07624 427650

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This email was presumably sent to a group. Now, I have received a 2009-2010 EBT discovery notice from HMRC and I wanted to communicate with Edge on that, but Edge seems to not exist anymore??? Does anyone know what has happened? The website doesn't work and the phone numbers of Michelle are not working either.

For all the EBT Discovery notice holders from HMRC, who worked with Edge in the past, what is the advice now? (given the new ground reality)........

Comment

Originally posted by K12AN View Post
        Does anyone have 'the short response' which should be sent for the 2009/10-2010/11 years from Michelle?
        The suggested short form reply for those who have already filed an appeal for last year is: “Thank you for your recent correspondence, I do not agree with your assessment and therefore wish to appeal this decision. Please postpone collection of this tax demand.

In other words, there isn't much more to be said. It does seem very short. But I wonder whether anything else really needs to be said at this stage of the proceedings.

Comment

Edge Contractors Please unite

Hello,

I think all of us Edge contractors should unite and be heard with a single voice. Do we have a telephone directory and list of users who have been stung by the EBT discovery notice from HMRC targetting their EBT contract with Edge?
          Also has Edge packed their bags and left as their website is not active and Michelle's telephone is not working.
          Uniting would be good to share the costs for any possible legal defence in future.

Admin please add me as a PM as I have a very signficant Bill of Demand from HMRC for tax years 2008-2009 and 2009-2010, and I would like to actively participate in whatever collective effort is being planned.

Thanks
          Ammar Khalid
          Last edited by ammark; 2 December 2013, 14:22.

Comment

Another EBT'er

Hi everyone

Another nervous contractor here. I received a letter for 2009/10 last week. I received a similar letter back in March 13 and I spoke to Michelle Booth to get a template of a letter to send to HMRC. I sent it and got a reply back that my appeal had been noted.

I tried to email Michelle again after this latest letter, but it got bounced back. I think I read somewhere on this thread that Edge had ceased to be and that Michelle is working for a company called Redstone? Can anyone confirm that please?

I'm about to send another letter to HMRC using the same template, but in the meantime it's good to know I am not alone. I'm quite willing to join the group that "TheDandy" is trying to form and will collaborate in any way I can.

Could the admin please grant me rights for PMs?

Many Thanks

Comment

2009-2010 & 2010-2011

Have just had a demand for 2009-2010 & 2010-2011. The second one includes a demand for tax on the full amount of the EBT, not sure how they work that one out but the bill is for over £150k. The actual letter says it is for money received in the actual tax year then the detail says it is for tax from previous years ! I will, of course, be happy to participate in any Group collective action.

Comment

Has anyone who's responded/appealed to the latest demands heard anything back yet?

Comment

Requests For Information

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  Don't muddy your appeal letters with requests for information.

There are example of appeal letters in the first post of the main thread.

Or MJ Perry's original letter WITHOUT the questions at the end.

Ok - I think I will be going with the majority - which is to keep the appeal letter short and sweet

This does however lead to the next question - hasn't anyone faced with a demand for £XXXX wanted to ask HMRC exactly how they have worked that out, where they got the information from, what assumption they have made, what calculations they have used, etc. etc.

Does anyone have a template for that they wish to share or PM to me?

Comment

Just a note to say all who have requested PM access in this thread should now have access. We don't give PM access out to new accounts due to spammers etc, this is automatically unlocked after making a few posts though. If you don't want to post but need PM access then sign up for an account and then use the contact form in the footer of the site (http://forums.contractoruk.com/sendmessage.php) and I will upgrade your account manually.

Comment

I spoke to Michelle last week when my letter arrived, Michelle can be contacted at Redstone on 0845 591 9552 and she was very helpful, however there is / was no formal support from Edge and definitely not from Redstone, without quoting Michelle the advice is to appeal and seek advice from a TAX expert.

Now after talking to my accountant , and again I don't wish to quote but he was of the opinion that really what else could she say??? At the end of the day we are in this on our own , its my opinion ( im not a lawyer ) that many of us are hoping that the Rangers case wins out and that will have a positive effect on our situation , but why would it? I have had read many many posts on a few different sites and the consensus is that unless our EDGE contracts where identical to those used by Rangers ( doubtful) the outcome will make little difference to X Edge employees or any other X EBT scheme members.

Does anyone really think that if the HMRC loose this case that they will just close the books? I read an article from 2008 that said they hope to recover £3b with the changes to the law that where coming in , the country is on its arse, we are skint and in my opinion an easy target , you guys do the maths. Also while we appeal the demands from the HMRC we are accruing interest , more money for the HMRC.....

How they can charge interest ( in my case) for a bill they said I owed from 2 years ago when they accepted my tax return then kept quiet for 2 years is beyond me, but then the whole thing is not only unfair but unbelievable, so what's next , the speed limit on the motorway is reduced to 60 then we all get nicked for doing 70 the day before ?

I have been in touch with the PCG's Tax expert, they have told me to appeal ( so I have) , again lets see what happens with Rangers, little comfort to be honest, but if anything positive comes from them I will post it up

I'm starting to see why some people have just paid up, but I cant afford to that would be admitting liability and I have done nothing wrong like the rest of you all,

Sorry to rant but this whole thing has me shaken , now, TheDandy has been in touch with me directly, I saw one post saying that they where concerned that he hasn't posted recently, please PM him, but again this is not his full time Job and please accept his timescales, he makes a lot of sense.

All the best and Merry flippin Christmas........

Comment

Working...
                      X