• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Woods1969 View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone have any new updates from Edge and is there way we can get KPMG to offer some advice on the next steps as Edge are using them as their advisors.

Cheers
    Michelle Booth sent an email to all Edge people today. Did you not get it?

Comment

why is Rangers so important to us and why have HMRC gone for us and not Edge?

Guys
      there is something confusing me still here, why have HMRC gone after a liquidated rangers FC and not the players who are no doubt still about and have got tons of cash?

In our case we are like the players but without the massive salaries and the WAGS... so even if they find against Rangers where will they recover the money from as that entity is liquidated?- the players themselves?

Is there an actual enquiry against Edge as surely as our employer they were the ones who failed to pay our PAYE and NICS. Edge are still trading so I just don't get it...

this is bugging me and I am sure someone will have an answer.

cheers Edgy

Comment

Originally posted by bedworthlad1972 View Post
        Michelle Booth sent an email to all Edge people today.
        I've updated the first post with a summary

Comment

Originally posted by edgy about edge View Post
          Guys
          there is something confusing me still here, why have HMRC gone after a liquidated rangers FC and not the players who are no doubt still about and have got tons of cash?

In our case we are like the players but without the massive salaries and the WAGS... so even if they find against Rangers where will they recover the money from as that entity is liquidated?- the players themselves?

Is there an actual enquiry against Edge as surely as our employer they were the ones who failed to pay our PAYE and NICS. Edge are still trading so I just don't get it...

this is bugging me and I am sure someone will have an answer.

cheers Edgy
          It is a good question - to which I do not know the answer.

I remember someone mentioning a ruling recently, either in this thread or the main one, where the tribunal/court ruled that the employer was liable.

That said each case is unique as all the EBTs are set up differently.

Comment

I am in the same boat, just recieved my worrying letter.

Good evening all,

I have just received my letter from HMRC requesting a payment of a considerable amount of money, again from using Edge, with tax year end 5 April 2009. Done my best to read through the thread and will contact Michelle via :-

<Mod snip: no details of individuals please.>

Request the template so I can appeal A.S.A.P.

Would also like to say thank you to GoneSouth & all the people who have contributed so far! My heart sank when this came through & stress levels are still through the roof though!

Comment

Originally posted by fielder View Post
              Good evening all,

I have just received my letter from HMRC requesting a payment of a considerable amount of money, again from using Edge, with tax year end 5 April 2009. Done my best to read through the thread and will contact Michelle via :-

<Mod snip: no details of individuals please.>

Request the template so I can appeal A.S.A.P.

Would also like to say thank you to GoneSouth & all the people who have contributed so far! My heart sank when this came through & stress levels are still through the roof though!
              Thank you for accepting the post, apologies regarding the individual details, these were mentioned on the first post within this thread and copied them here.

Comment

Point to check

Originally posted by fielder View Post
                Thank you for accepting the post, apologies regarding the individual details, these were mentioned on the first post within this thread and copied them here.
                Hi fielder, welcome to the thread.

A couple of points - if you are interested in group representation read the first post and contact TheDandy. I'm not sure where we are at with this but getting in touch can do no harm.

Secondly, when did HMRC issue your notice? You may be outside the 4 years they have for applying penalties so that may be a good thing for you. (I believe interest can still apply though) Mention it when you contact Edge.

Comment

Thanks GoneSouth, I will contact TheDandy and also Michael J Perry FCA (both forums member names).

Just to update everyone on what I have done / doing:-

I have done the following (hoping it will help others) below and am now awaiting the original letter to be sent to the address the surcharge arrived at which should be with me by 02/07/2013, the appeal response date will start from the new sent date:-

---19/06/2013 - 10:02 ---
                  Spoke with Edge this morning who were very helpful indeed, they have sought opinion on this matter from their tax advisors who are of the view that it is fundamentally important to appeal this assessment. If I do not appeal, the value of the demand becomes legally enforceable and HMRC will seek payment. If I elect to pay the demand, it is important to note that this will signal my acceptance of HMRC’s position, that the loan payments were indeed income and HMRC will then have the ability to apply the same rationale to the consecutive tax years that followed, in my case I left contracting (first timer) after a year in 2009 to go permanent.

I have been sent the template and now phoning HMRC Self Harassment helpline to acquire the original letter, not just a surcharge notice.

---19/06/2013 - 12:00 ---
                  HMRC Self Assement Helpline - 0300 200 3310

Upon speaking to 'xxxxx' there appears to be nothing outstanding in regards to my tax records, put on hold while she reads through my history. No tax return outstanding, but issued a self assessment for 2008/2009. She asked me what she needs to send to me, I merely said you tell me please. On hold again.

She spoke to another department and explained I have not received anything, the original information and letter with information on appealing will be sent out to me again with the address used for the surcharge. She will leave a note on my record and all calls are recorded.

---19/06/2013 - 12:25 ---
                  HMRC Payment line - 0845 366 1204

Spoke to 'xxxxx' and updated my records (separate from the other records from the 0300 number) and advised I am waiting for the original letter so I can appeal, advised this may take 1 week to receive and she admitted it could take a further 5 weeks for HMRC get back to me, send recorded and update the payment line once the appeal has been sent and then received.

The plan of action from here I believe is :-

1) Await the letter from HMRC, expected by 02/07/2013....

2) Send appeal letter using Edge template to HMRC person who sent it on the letter (x2 recorded delivery) and update HM Revenue and Customs Payment line.

3) Upon receipt of delivery await from royal mail copy the signature and keep a copy. Update HM Revenue and Customs Payment line.

4) Upon receiving the appeal confirmation scan in and update HM Revenue and Customs Payment line.

5) Await next correspondence from HMRC or Edge. Also worth checking the Contractor Forums : 'http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-scheme-enquiries/'

Comment

Good evening, All,

Just an update to where I stand:-

1) Await the letter from HMRC, expected by 02/07/2013....

2) Send appeal letter using Edge template to HMRC person who sent it on the letter (x2 recorded delivery) and update HM Revenue and Customs Payment line.

---29/06/2013 - 13:42 ---
                    Received a self-assessment request for xxxx phoned the number on the form 0845 366 7808 Spoke to xxxx and need to print off a SA370 and send recorded to HMRC Self Assessment.

Went to the website and found http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/sa370.pdf but then found: SA355 – ‘Self Assessment - penalty for a late tax return. Use form SA355 to appeal against a penalty for late submission of your tax return for the 2009/10 tax year and earlier tax years.’

As the above fits the bill I have sent off the 'SA355'.

Also sent to the person referenced on the Self Assessment request

--- 01/07/2013 - 13:15 ---
                    Sent appeal letter via Royal Mail special delivery

--- 02/07/2013 - 18:45 ---
                    Appeal letter received via Royal Mail special delivery.

Also received the original HMRC letter that was sent to the 'wrong address/never received' which confirms I am in the same boat as everyone here.

Phoned HMRC Payment line and spoke to xxxx where I stated that both letters have been signed for and I await confirmation of the appeal.

Comment

email from Michelle Booth at Edge

Hi all,

for information, Michelle Booth at Edge has sent out an email this week with the title 'HMRC update - Surcharge Notice'. If you did not receive it, please contact Michelle.

thanks

Living life on the Edge
                      "No man in this country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores."

Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services v Ritchie v CIR CS 1929 14 TC 754, Lord Clyde.

Comment

Working...
                      X