• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bstar1 View Post
    Or check your online self assessment a/c
    Does a COP8 should up online - presume you mean the HMRC Self Assessment website? I never seen to be able to see further past than last years, even though I've been doing electronic filing for a number of years - maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

Comment

I have also had a letter today

So I called HMRC and spoke to someone helpful there, I advised her that I although I was on an EBT I was not working in the UK and was a on resident of the UK at the time and have been ever since, and that was the end of that conversation, she was stumped and could not advise further.

Although I am overseas I gave her my mobile (terminating in bermuda at 50 quid a second)

Someone from their technical department called me and I gave him the same speel, I advised that because it was a short term contract it was the only way and that I was advised by the agent at the time to do so (afterall they get back handers for whom they put through them) and YES I paid some tax in the UK and the rest was through an EBT which when they were started were legal, I advised this guy that I was a non resident and have been ever since 2002 ...... he told me that he would look into the matter and close everything.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterF View Post
        I wouldn't be so sure. If I was a betting man I'd put money on Edge having handed over the info before they split and left us to it.
        this does go back to around 6 years ago, I had a letter then saying edge were being investigated, HMRC don't know amounts they only know what tax was paid by the scheme under the normal PAYE, the rest is upto how honest people want to be ....although its taken them a while to get back to people

Funny thing on this whole issue is that edge was up and running from around 2003 and on till 2009 doing the same schemes, so why did it take so long to realise this was illegal?

Comment

Originally posted by Talos View Post
          this does go back to around 6 years ago, I had a letter then saying edge were being investigated, HMRC don't know amounts they only know what tax was paid by the scheme under the normal PAYE, the rest is upto how honest people want to be ....although its taken them a while to get back to people

Funny thing on this whole issue is that edge was up and running from around 2003 and on till 2009 doing the same schemes, so why did it take so long to realise this was illegal?
          It's not. It's whether or not the scheme was properly constructed and whether or not you are entitled to the tax relief it gave you.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Talos View Post

This is one of the many things about this whole sorry business that anger me the most.

We received letters from HMRC saying that the scheme was being investigated - not just one - I'm sure I received at least 3. Off when the little man at HMRC and did his investigation. Did he ever come back and say "STOP!!! What you are doing is illegal", did he come back and say "WARNING - I would not carry on with this scheme if I was you!!" - No he didn't. The next contact we got from him was saying that he was starting up a new investigation.

The total lack of come back from them following their investigations effectively gave us the green light to carry on - "We've concluded our investigations and we have no advice or recommendations for you".

Does anyone have any copies of these investigation notices? How can we find out what was the official conclusions (as written at the time, not magically remastered by the HMRC)

Comment

Originally posted by gettingangry View Post
              This is one of the many things about this whole sorry business that anger me the most.

We received letters from HMRC saying that the scheme was being investigated - not just one - I'm sure I received at least 3. Off when the little man at HMRC and did his investigation. Did he ever come back and say "STOP!!! What you are doing is illegal", did he come back and say "WARNING - I would not carry on with this scheme if I was you!!" - No he didn't. The next contact we got from him was saying that he was starting up a new investigation.

The total lack of come back from them following their investigations effectively gave us the green light to carry on - "We've concluded our investigations and we have no advice or recommendations for you".

Does anyone have any copies of these investigation notices? How can we find out what was the official conclusions (as written at the time, not magically remastered by the HMRC)
              That has to be a warning of sorts though surely? granted nothing definitive, but HMRC never are.

Comment

Questions from Down Under

Today I received my Contractor Loans Settlement Opportunity letter - probably a bit later that most people as I emigrated to NZ in 2005, and it has taken the postal service this long to get it to me. I was a bit shocked, but not surprised, to receive the letter as I have been in contact with an old workmate in the UK who has been warning me that HMRC is on the war path. Having done some initial research a couple of months ago, I thought the 6 year rule would apply and therefore I would be fine. Obviously not the case.

Back in Jan 07 I received a letter from HMRC saying that my 2004/5 tax return was being investigated, followed in Dec 07 by a letter saying it was now COP8. In Jan 08 I got another letter saying that my 2005/6 tax return was also being investigated. Apart from these three letters I have not heard anything else from HRMC, until today.

I was part of Norla / Edge for my 2004/5 tax return.

One of the problems is that, having emigrated to NZ and then subsequently moved twice, I'm not sure I have any / many details of the scheme and how much I earned. Also not sure if they would want details prior to 2004/5.

So if anyone has any suggestions how to proceed I would be grateful. Is it worth starting with a phone call to the helpline?

(apologies for a Kiwi posting on the UK forum)

Comment

Originally posted by InNZ View Post
                  Today I received my Contractor Loans Settlement Opportunity letter - probably a bit later that most people as I emigrated to NZ in 2005, and it has taken the postal service this long to get it to me. I was a bit shocked, but not surprised, to receive the letter as I have been in contact with an old workmate in the UK who has been warning me that HMRC is on the war path. Having done some initial research a couple of months ago, I thought the 6 year rule would apply and therefore I would be fine. Obviously not the case.

Back in Jan 07 I received a letter from HMRC saying that my 2004/5 tax return was being investigated, followed in Dec 07 by a letter saying it was now COP8. In Jan 08 I got another letter saying that my 2005/6 tax return was also being investigated. Apart from these three letters I have not heard anything else from HRMC, until today.

One of the problems is that, having emigrated to NZ and then subsequently moved twice, I'm not sure I have any / many details of the scheme and how much I earned. Also not sure if they would want details prior to 2004/5.

So if anyone has any suggestions how to proceed I would be grateful. Is it worth starting with a phone call to the helpline?

I made the call to HMRC and spoke to someone there in regards to my status, I told them that i was non resident in the Uk at the time I used the scheme, then then after 20 mins and many different people on the line they told me that they had no idea as to what to do, Infact this is what i told them 6 years ago and its taken them this long to get a letter out again

Comment

I think it depends on whether you want to 'settle' or not. The demands are outrageous in my opinion, retrospectively reclassifying EBT
                    schemes isn't holding up (rangers case for example). But, these are new times and it's clear HMRC are on a mission so you should decide on whether you'll dig in or settle up. By dig in I would suggest joining one of the Edge groups. Links in post #1 and also repeated throughout this thread. Settlement to the HMRC means pay everything THEY say you owe (which most of us can't figure out how they've calculated it) plus interest, which for you could be a lot since it's 04/05.
                    Also, with the 2014 finance act being passed, APNs are expected to be issued. So you may have to pay the lot to a HMRC holding account until YOU prove your innocence. Grrrr.

Comment

Once they have an open enquiry the time limits have no meaning. The limits refer to opening new enquires.

Comment

Working...
                      X