• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC enquiries for Talent Resource Management (TRM) / Cherrylon / Trentburg Schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy123 View Post
    I also thought of submitting the appeal letter myself as there were many freebie templates floating around but in the end I decided to let them handle it from the start for me. You can get their details including mobile phone/email from their website.
    Thanks i've emailed them asking to take on my appeal so fingers crossed - thnx again

Comment

Hello,

I just found this forum and thread. I did post in another thread this morning, and someone kindly directed me here.

Add me to the list. I’ve recently received a letter from the taxman in regard to Talent Resource Management asking for me to pay x thousand pounds in tax for 2008/9 when I worked for TRM, plus interest.

I’ve never received any inquires from HMRC before when letters were being sent out to people back in 2008-9 and so this letter is totally out of the blue.

They didn’t seem to have any details except the amount of the loan and earnings for that year. The thing is I paid the loan back on TRM’s advice under their currency system, so as far as I was aware it was paid off, and when I had it, I was also charged interest on it, so no benefit in kind.

I will send a short appeal letter next week.

PS. Can the board moderator allow private messages please?

Comment

London Seminar on HMRC and EBT Schemes

Although Talent was not an EBT scheme, as indicated by the name of this thread, it will figure quite significantly in the forthcoming seminar as matters are quite advanced with HMRC.

Please support the event by registering as an attendee.

See the separate thread for 'EBT' Seminar.

We now have nearly 40 people registered and it will be held in London on 6 or 7 April (TBC).

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out Michael, I have now changed the title.

This is a general request for people to be more accurate in their description of the schemes they've used.

*This will prevent nice men in suits from asking us to remove this forum (not thread, forum).

Thanks.

(*I should note that this doesn't apply to TRM.)
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael J Perry FCA View Post
            It was impossible to guage how much would be written about a simple appeal application.

I have provided over 30 templates to contractors and it would have been less time consuming just to post the suggested reply to HMRC on the forum. However, there was an issue about non-disclosure and professional liability.

I have taken legal advice on this matter and now produce my SUGGESTED reply to HMRC on the understanding that it may not suit all cases and that I accept no financial or professional responsibility for reliance placed on it.

I WILL NOT ENTER INTO ANY DISCUSSION ABOUT THE SUGGESTED LETTER ON THE FORUM.

Assessments are still being issued by HMRC and the latest one I have seen was dated 20 February.

Here is the text of the reply:

YOUR ADDRESS

Date:
            Your ref:
            NI number:

HM Revenue & Customs
            Local Compliance
            Personal & CGT Compliance
            Chailey House
            Cardington Road
            Bedford MK42 0YS

For the attention of Miss L J Stopp

Dear Madam,

YOUR NAME

I acknowledge receipt of your letter dated xx February 2013, a notice of assessment and tax calculation for 2008/09.

Please take this letter as my formal notice of appeal against the assessment.

I apply to postpone the further tax charged of £xxxxx on the ground that no additional taxable income has been agreed.

Kindly acknowledge receipt.

Yours faithfully,

………………………………….
            (Signature)
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Thank you for the template. I wasn't sure what to do, as this is all new to me, as I'm sure it is to many here.

I got a quote from one of the mentioned tax advice companies, but it's nearly £200 for just a first appeal letter to be sent, like your template. Is this normal? I don't have any money to spare, I really don't at all, but I also don't want to spend money if HMRC will accept the template you have shown.

I found some more general templates in a Guardian article, and they are like yours.
            Tax error: Letter templates to challenge your tax demand | Money | guardian.co.uk

The bit that worries me is, are HMRC wanting more information, as in detailed reasons for why we think we should not be taxed on our loans, or do they just need to know we disagree initially and keep it short and brief for now?

Have the people who sent their own letter, had accepted replies back yet? Any help is much appreciated.
            Last edited by craftmaker; 26 March 2013, 21:09.

Comment

ADVICE

Originally posted by craftmaker View Post
              Thank you for the template. I wasn't sure what to do, as this is all new to me, as I'm sure it is to many here.

I got a quote from one of the mentioned tax advice companies, but it's nearly £200 for just a first appeal letter to be sent, like your template. Is this normal? I don't have any money to spare, I really don't at all, but I also don't want to spend money if HMRC will accept the template you have shown.

I found some more general templates in a Guardian article, and they are like yours.
              Tax error: Letter templates to challenge your tax demand | Money | guardian.co.uk

The bit that worries me is, are HMRC wanting more information, as in detailed reasons for why we think we should not be taxed on our loans, or do they just need to know we disagree initially and keep it short and brief for now?

Have the people who sent their own letter, had accepted replies back yet? Any help is much appreciated.
              If you PM me I am happy to give you free advice on this matter.

Comment

Hi,

I've also received a letter from HMRC asking for back taxes with respect to my employment with TRM, what's the general consensus, are most folks appealing against the assessment ? Cheers !

Comment

If you PM me I am happy to give you free advice on this matter.
                  Hi Michael,

I'm in the same boat and would appreciate your advice
                  Thanks

P.S. Admin can you please enable me to PM, thanks

Comment

London Seminar on HMRC and EBT Schemes

Originally posted by AnotherContractor View Post
                    Hi Michael,

I'm in the same boat and would appreciate your advice
                    Thanks

P.S. Admin can you please enable me to PM, thanks
                    If you can get to Central London next Saturday 6 April, I will be holding a detailed seminar about HMRC actions, etc.

Please see separate thread for London EBT Seminar.

You have to register soon and I believe we have over 50 attendees so far.

Comment

If you can get to Central London next Saturday 6 April, I will be holding a detailed seminar about HMRC actions, etc.

Please see separate thread for London EBT Seminar.

You have to register soon and I believe we have over 50 attendees so far.
                      Unfortunately, i won't be able to make it, since I'm currently contracting in Singapore...

Comment

Working...
                      X