• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry letters on Loans from EBT and other schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guidelines / letter from Edge

Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
    Yes, I took their advice and had them check the letter before I sent it.
    I never received a letter from Edge consulting - is anyone able to forward this to be by pm so that I can see how I should respond. Many thanks

Comment

Isn't HMRC on to a non-starter?

I ask as surely these schemes were registered through DOTAS and so well known to HMRC...

PLC - Discovery assessment blocked by inclusion of DOTAS SRN number and information provided in tax return (Upper Tribunal)

The Upper Tribunal determined that the inclusion of the DOTAS SRN number and other information in the taxpayers' tax returns prevented HMRC from making a discovery assessment because an officer could reasonably have been expected from that information to have been aware of the tax understatement. The Upper Tribunal also considered the meaning of "discovery" and the qualities of the hypothetical officer. (HMRC v Charlton, Corfield & another [2012] UKFTT 770 (TCC).)
      http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        I'm speaking within the context of this thread, DR. But you are of course right (I'm making an assumption that everyone around here knows the meaning of the phrase 'due diligence' )
        Due diligence is not always that easy.

One person I know approached a respected firm of tax advisors who were confident that they could negotiate a deal with HMRC.

She ended up £2000 worse off for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by mulberryblue View Post
          I am in the same position as you. I received the letters regarding 10/11 at the end of last year, and replied to those. Today I received a letter regarding 2008/9 and there assessment of unpaid tax due in 30 days. I left the scheme in January 2011 when the law changed. But not sure what to do - as I understood from Edge the EBT was an approved arrangement. Any advice appreciated.
          Originally posted by mulberryblue View Post
          I never received a letter from Edge consulting - is anyone able to forward this to be by pm so that I can see how I should respond. Many thanks
          Go back to Edge and speak to them mulberryblue

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1699023
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Lack of scheme information in Self Assessment

After speaking to my scheme provider it would appear from what they have said that the discovery letters have been sent due to either DOTAS reference or additional disclosure information not being present in the Self Assessment return for 2008/09.

More to follow ....

Comment

Originally posted by aexport View Post
              After speaking to my scheme provider it would appear from what they have said that the discovery letters have been sent due to either DOTAS reference or additional disclosure information not being present in the Self Assessment return for 2008/09.

More to follow ....
              Who was your provider aexport?

Comment

Originally posted by Chods View Post
                Who was your provider aexport?
                TRM didnt have SRN during that year.

Comment

Appeal template

I can provide a correct template to reply to HMRC for anyone that just wants to get the appeal right and decide what to do later.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael J Perry FCA View Post
                    I can provide a correct template to reply to HMRC for anyone that just wants to get the appeal right and decide what to do later.
                    That's a kind offer.

The main priority at the moment is for people to get their appeals in.

HMRC will be inundated and it could be weeks/months before people hear from them again, which gives plenty of time to review options.

Comment

Originally posted by aexport View Post

More to follow ....
                      That might be true in their case, but not in the majority of cases.

Comment

Working...
                      X