• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry letters on Loans from EBT and other schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a discussion on this thread a few months back about there being some doubt whether a court would grant a petition for bankruptcy for a debt that was disputed. Until HMRC actually petition to bankrupt someone, we won't know which way the court rules on this. In the past when HMRC have petitioned to bankrupt someone, they had already proven the debt was owed, but that isn't the case with APNs.

Comment

CH say's dont reply. Help!!!

Originally posted by DarnEBTs View Post
      Hi,
      Rec'd this today for year ended 2013. This is within 12 mths on filing. States will write back with more in 3-4 weeks time. I was with a scheme this year. Guess I should wait. But anything else in meantime should be done on my part? Is this expected now so that inquiry is at least open within 12 months. Seems like worrying days ahead and just want to put this all behind. I have given up contracting!!!

Any update appreciated. Thanks.

rgds
      Hi. I have rec'd response from CH saying not to do anything and practically ignore this inquiry and not even respond by deadline of 30 days. Its request for info and not a demand is the reason. It's a fairly long list from hector abt scheme and other things which I have no idea how I can get in 30 days anyway. Is it wise counsel to ignore and not reply in what seems to be a "formal" inquiry on tax? I am stumped. Help please!!! Thank you. :-(

Comment

FTT confirms that transfer of assets abroad code is contrary to EU law

http://www.taxchambers.com/wp-conten...isher-ToAA.pdf
        http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Originally posted by contractorNoob
          Hi all

I have just received one of these dreaded letters and have been working my way through the various threads from back to Feb 2013.

I haven't found any group or dedicated thread for ex Bedouin employees who have received these HMRC information requests, has anyone else received a 2012/2013 tax year enquiry? I was only with them for 6 months but would like to know what steps others have taken.

Thanks
          You need to read this thread: http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...ml#post1878120
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

So confused

Hi. I received a Cop8 letter in 2009 and I was in a scheme through Penfolds for about 8 months. I have since returned to NZ. A few years after I got the letter I wrote to ask for an update and they said they were still looking into it. That was last I heard till I got the settlement letter in July. I first thought it was spam as it only had my name and address on it but no other details. I emailed Cascade (as I think they did the Penfolds thing but I can't remember? - does anyone know?) and they said its just a generic letter and to ignore it as they were dealing with it on Contractors behalves.

I'm so confused now and need to dig out my paperwork - which I still have I think - thank god! To see if it was actually Cascade or what.

I don't know whether to call HRMC and find out more or am I digging a hole? If I ignore it could the penalties be greater? I'm wondering if I try and find an accountant in NZ that knows UK tax laws (might be difficult). Just no idea what to do and I'm starting to worry!!!

Comment

Have a read here:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...de-london.html
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Just get in touch with cascade.

Comment

Originally posted by DarnEBTs View Post
                  Hi. I have rec'd response from CH saying not to do anything and practically ignore this inquiry and not even respond by deadline of 30 days. Its request for info and not a demand is the reason. It's a fairly long list from hector abt scheme and other things which I have no idea how I can get in 30 days anyway. Is it wise counsel to ignore and not reply in what seems to be a "formal" inquiry on tax? I am stumped. Help please!!! Thank you. :-(

I also received a letter yesterday for information for my april 2013 tax return for a non DOTAS no EBT scheme. Shall be forwarding to the provider and accountant to see what the next steps should be...

Comment

Looks like Labour wants to up the heat on avoidance, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
                      Looks like Labour wants to up the heat on avoidance, as well.
                      It amazes me that anyone is still using these schemes - especially post GAAR in 2013.

Comment

Working...
                      X