• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AM Limited COP8 HMRC Investigation Letter..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ads1980 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, how much are HMRC saying you owe them (roughly) and what period would you be looking to pay over? I just wonder if it is worth me asking for TTP as well as joining the JR with AML because I could also be paying something back with the hope that HMRC are defeated along the way?
    I haven't received an APN yet, expecting soon. I have been saving as much as I can from the last 12mths. I haven't been impressed with AML keeping me up to date with several emails they haven't replied to. Perhaps their focus is on those who are still under arrangements, whereas me being ex-AML'er are dealt with as when they can(back of the queue). So to ask me for £250 without pointing out that I may still be liable for additional 15% penalties is not good enough. Ultimately HMRC will force APN payment unless law is changed, and even if delayed it just means the interest ££££ just keeps adding up. I think I'd pay what I can ask for TTP and await the AML v HMRC FTT. We could be looking at years as Webberg pointed out.

On a personal note, I'm soooo angry with myself, I was put onto AML from a Chartered Accountant, who I have since berated and made my feelings clear about their advice. I now realise he was making commission out of me, I thought he was giving me good advice. I went to his office asking him to setup a LTD company and came out having joined AML, thinking I had no more IR35 worries. What a bloody fool I have been.
    http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Originally posted by LandRover View Post
      I haven't received an APN yet, expecting soon. I have been saving as much as I can from the last 12mths. I haven't been impressed with AML keeping me up to date with several emails they haven't replied to. Perhaps their focus is on those who are still under arrangements, whereas me being ex-AML'er are dealt with as when they can(back of the queue). So to ask me for £250 without pointing out that I may still be liable for additional 15% penalties is not good enough. Ultimately HMRC will force APN payment unless law is changed, and even if delayed it just means the interest ££££ just keeps adding up. I think I'd pay what I can ask for TTP and await the AML v HMRC FTT. We could be looking at years as Webberg pointed out.

On a personal note, I'm soooo angry with myself, I was put onto AML from a Chartered Accountant, who I have since berated and made my feelings clear about their advice. I now realise he was making commission out of me, I thought he was giving me good advice. I went to his office asking him to setup a LTD company and came out having joined AML, thinking I had no more IR35 worries. What a bloody fool I have been.
      I was also sent to AML in the same way. The whole fiasco feels like a stitch up and we are helpless. I am also ex AML (since 2010) and I have had to do a lot of chasing of them but they do eventually reply. I'm glad they are still going through unlike some other schemes.

Comment

If the accountant was taking a commission he had an obligation to tell you. Depending on when it was he might also be obliged to net it against fees.

If you are unhappy with his advice and feel that he has not exercised his duty of care, you should lodge a formal complaint with the ICAEW - see online.

It may not get you financial reward but it will make you realise that this is not entirely your fault.
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Know this feeling, mate! But let's not misdirect our anger (hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it!) towards ourselves or those who gave what in retrospect seems like poor advice. It is very legitimate but ultimately a waste of energy, which will be better used to fuel the fight back against those who actually devised and implemented the APN/FN monstrosity. BIG GROUP is one avenue for this.
          Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
            Know this feeling, mate! But let's not misdirect our anger (hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it!) towards ourselves or those who gave what in retrospect seems like poor advice. It is very legitimate but ultimately a waste of energy, which will be better used to fuel the fight back against those who actually devised and implemented the APN/FN monstrosity. BIG GROUP is one avenue for this.
            I try to get on with my life, have good days and bad days thinking about it. But make no mistake it's extremely hard not to at times have an affect on you.

Absolutely DS, the BIG GROUP is the right approach

Comment

I try to get on with my life, have good days and bad days thinking about it. But make no mistake it's extremely hard not to at times have an affect on you.
              It gets easier with the passage of time.

13 years since I left our scheme
              12 years since I was put under enquiry
              7 years since they brought in the retrospective legislation
              3 years since we started NTRT
              Over 5000 posts on CUK

How time passes when you're having fun.

Comment

I had my voicemail from HMRC yesterday. A very well spoken guy left me a voicemail saying he was just confirming I had got his letter which he sent to me in mid March, and that if I had any questions or I didn't understand any of it then I could ring him on an 0330 number. I still wonder if they are so sure they are going to get the money, why they are been so nice to everyone and giving courtesy calls. Amusing..

Comment

Originally posted by neo222 View Post
                  I had my voicemail from HMRC yesterday. A very well spoken guy left me a voicemail saying he was just confirming I had got his letter which he sent to me in mid March, and that if I had any questions or I didn't understand any of it then I could ring him on an 0330 number. I still wonder if they are so sure they are going to get the money, why they are been so nice to everyone and giving courtesy calls. Amusing..
                  I also received a courtesy call today from a well spoken HMRC chap.

Did you have any questions to ask also what do you think the point of the call was (to add more fear)?

Comment

Tax returns 2008-9 & 2009-10

AML emailed requesting returns for EBT prior to April 2011 with discovery assessments.

Any idea why?

Comment

AML emailed requesting returns for EBT prior to April 2011 with discovery assessments.

Any idea why?
                      It says at the start of the second paragraph of their email

Comment

Working...
                      X