• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AM Limited COP8 HMRC Investigation Letter..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LandRover View Post
    No group because AML support IS there and should be used
    Groups are mainly for where the promoter has legged it leaving the clients up the creek without a paddle.

Comment

Originally posted by LandRover View Post
      No group because AML support IS there and should be used
      I am using AML, but I am concerned that they told me to do nothing... and I would rather be doing something in case they do end up disappearing...

We have until the 9th of January i believe to get a request in for amounts. and i am debating whether to just ask for them, but not pay. What's the harm in that?

Comment

Originally posted by neo222 View Post
        I am using AML, but I am concerned that they told me to do nothing... and I would rather be doing something in case they do end up disappearing...

We have until the 9th of January i believe to get a request in for amounts. and i am debating whether to just ask for them, but not pay. What's the harm in that?
        There is no harm in requesting a settlement amount - and this counts as 'engaging' before the old January dead-line (which has now been extended by six months) - but you should not admit any liability in any correspondence.

This is the text of the letter I sent requesting a settlement amount:
        --------
        HMRC Counter-Avoidance
        F.A.O. Miss L J Stopp
        PO Box 177
        Bootle
        L30 4TZ

Dear Ms Stopp

Re: Your Ref: CLSO Enquiry Ref CF-SS-XXXXXX

Without Prejudice

Thank you for you letter dated July 2014.

Please could you send me a calculation of the tax and interest which you claim is due under the settlement opportunity quoted in your letter.

Yours sincerely

(Your name)
        --------
        Be sure to send the letter by registered post (and keep the payment receipt) so there can be no question of receipt by HMRC.

BTW - Another reason to write rather than call is the long delays you will experience if calling HMRC - this has been reported in various newspapers today (The Times) and previously:

Taxpayers now waiting twice as long on HMRC helplines | Politics | The Guardian

HMRC helpline criticised for long waiting times and cutting off callers - Tax - Money - The Independent

Also, you should expect to receive an incomplete figure if you were associated with an EBT - it seems that HMRC still haven't decided whether to chase for IHT yet ...

Good luck :-)
        "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next ..."

Comment

There is also an article today on the BBC web site:

BBC News - HMRC helpline waiting times lengthening, figures show

Comment

Originally posted by dangerouswhensober View Post
            There is no harm in requesting a settlement amount - and this counts as 'engaging' before the old January dead-line (which has now been extended by six months) - but you should not admit any liability in any correspondence.
            Really appreciate this, especially the template letter - thank you.

I haven't heard about the extension, where did you see this?

Thanks again!

Comment

Thanks again!
              I should make it clear that I was not with AM Limited, but I was with two other schemes which involved EBT structures as part of their umbrella employment solution.

In common with many thousands of other contractors who read these boards, I received a 'Contractor Loans Settlement Opportunity' (CLSO) in July of last year. Amongst other things, the CLSO states:

"Choose to settle now and you can put your involvement with these arrangements behind you; please contact us by 9 January 2015." (This is where the January date was initially mentioned).

In November I requested a settlement amount, and I received a reply 2-3 weeks later.

On 18th December, HMRC posted details of an extension to the settlement time limits to 30th June 2015 - this little document is titled "Guidance: Tax on contractor loans: extended time limit and more information" and is available on-line here:
              https://www.gov.uk/government/public...information--2

If you received a CLSO in June/July/August of last year, then I would assume that you are also subject to the extension.

A couple of points to note:

(1) The on-line HMRC extension notes include the statement: "These notices (APNs) may be issued to users of Contractor Loans avoidance schemes before the end of CLSO." In other words "we can (and presumably will) demand payment from some people immediately after January 9th, even though we say we have extended the CLSO to June."

(2) HMRC never wrote to me personally saying that the CLSO was being extended to 30th June.

Hope this helps.

BTW - The "settlement amount" letter I received included this statement from the HMRC officer: "I am continuing to review your personal circumstances with regard to inheritance tax and will let you know when I have completed my review". In other words, "we're not sure whether we can get away with claiming that your scheme is subject to IHT - we'll get back to you on that - meanwhile, please give us some money now anyway, in the knowledge that we may ask for lots more at some point in the future ..." (i.e. the settlement figure was not a settlement figure ...)

Comment

Hmrc online form to request settlement calc

Thanks again!
                You can write, or use their online interactive PDF https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...387786/do3.pdf and email it to them. I got a read receipt after a few days. Less bother than writing...

Comment

With regards to Section 9A investigations into 12-13 tax returns, AML are dealing with this as a whole and have agreed extensions with HMRC.

Has anyone heard any news on how this is going and what we will need to provide?

Comment

Originally posted by turbowoowoo View Post
                    Has anyone heard any news on how this is going and what we will need to provide?
                    I believe that is the whole point, for AML to dialogue with HMRC and provide answers to the ridiculous amount of questions/requests that were sent. I also expect this to take some time, as is all other HMRC dialogues so it is a case of sit and wait for a further update. Frustrating as that is.

Whilst AML don't send out regular updates, when they do, they are normally informative in my opinion. As with this and all other schemes, it is a slow and painful process. However, we have to be thankful that we still have a provider fighting our corner, many others don't.
                    STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
                      I believe that is the whole point, for AML to dialogue with HMRC and provide answers to the ridiculous amount of questions/requests that were sent. I also expect this to take some time, as is all other HMRC dialogues so it is a case of sit and wait for a further update. Frustrating as that is.

Whilst AML don't send out regular updates, when they do, they are normally informative in my opinion. As with this and all other schemes, it is a slow and painful process. However, we have to be thankful that we still have a provider fighting our corner, many others don't.
                      Thank we do. I think you are correct in that this could take a few months to resolve .

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X