• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AM Limited COP8 HMRC Investigation Letter..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Most wealthy people who use tax planning only risk a portion of their net worth in a scheme.

The problem with the contractor schemes is that people put ALL of their income into them, year in and year out. If it fails then for many that will spell disaster.
    Exactly. If you're still in a scheme, you really shouldn't be. It's just not worth the risk. Read through everything under the HMRC Scheme Enquiries threads. Is it really worth the hassle?

Play safe - go with an umbrella or, for a risk that you manage, go down the Ltd company route.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      Hmmm
      NO! 2011.
      Oh that's cr@p.
      So all the EBT users will receive the 'AML is no longer trading' reply?

GET OUT. RUN RUN RUN RUN!

Comment

I also eventually had the bog standard AML email correspondance advising they will challenge the ruling. At least I got a reply in the end.

I stopped using them in 2010!

Comment

Interested to know what others think of AMLs chances of victory if they do take this to court disputing the proposed new laws.

As AML are still trading and other schemes have stopped this surely signifies AMLs intent to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by jrock View Post
            Interested to know what others think of AMLs chances of victory if they do take this to court disputing the proposed new laws.

As AML are still trading and other schemes have stopped this surely signifies AMLs intent to continue.
            AML are pretty large - a couple of contractors here have been with them for years and they are being supported in their EBT worries.
            I think they are pretty big in the North Sea sector as well; so it's possible that they feel they have a brand/business to protect.

Chances of victory for an EBT? Who knows, depends on how it was structured. Whatever, the new proposals mean you will have to pay now and wait for HMRC/AML to sort it out and I suspect that will be a long, long, long time.

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
              AML are pretty large - a couple of contractors here have been with them for years and they are being supported in their EBT worries.
              I think they are pretty big in the North Sea sector as well; so it's possible that they feel they have a brand/business to protect.

Chances of victory for an EBT? Who knows, depends on how it was structured. Whatever, the new proposals mean you will have to pay now and wait for HMRC/AML to sort it out and I suspect that will be a long, long, long time.
              Problem is how can the individual pay now if they don't have it

Comment

For HMRC Plan A in such cases was to bankrupt that individual and hope everybody else will hear the message.

New HMRC Plan B is to make tax due prepaid whilst "scheme providers" challenge the ruling, this will hopefully drastically reduce number of schemers and thus reduce number of bankrupcies in a long run.

Comment

For existing DAs you negotiate a Time To Pay arrangement or you go Bankrupt.

Comment

I'm in a position where I could probably pay back the money over a 5 year period - 6 with surcharges and interest. This relies heavily upon maintaining current earnings and being able to stay outside IR35, which is looking less likely by the day.

As each day passes I fear bankruptcy less. I'd have to write mortgage chances and working in the finance sector off and probably accept I'll earn less for the rest of my career but beyond being able to convince someone to lend me 100s of thousands to give to Hector (why do you owe so much tax?) it doesn't seem to make a great deal of sense staying afloat.

The only slim hope I see is that somewhere along the parliament route the bill is objected to by the people who are there to protect us.

Comment

The problem is - the longer a contractor stays with AML, the higher their debt will be if AML lose. A legal challenge to the new legislation itself could take months, even years.
                      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                      X