• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sunday Solutions Anyone Else Having A Problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StrengthInNumbers View Post
    Do we know what is HMRC doing where people just cannot pay?
    I believe HMRC will take the position, you owe it, you pay it. They've no scruples over making you bankrupt, claiming assets you own and taking legal measures to take a proportion of any earnings or benefits you may have as income.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
      I believe HMRC will take the position, you owe it, you pay it. They've no scruples over making you bankrupt, claiming assets you own and taking legal measures to take a proportion of any earnings or benefits you may have as income.
      ...but they would rather you pay it - so if you want to pay - speak to them. The above are the weapons they have if, in their view, you d1ck them around.

Of course, there is the interesting point that if you are bankrupted over an APN for a scheme that subsequently wins in court then how do HMRC compensate you for that? Bleugh.

One would hope that HMRC are magnanimous, in the victory that the APN has given them, and provide contractors with the ability to pay.

Comment

Sunday Solutions Anyone Else Having A Problem

Originally posted by Random999 View Post
        Myself and a few former colleagues have all received demands from HMRC. Not sure where the figure is being generated from as it bears no relation to what I submitted in expenses to them and what I received into my bank account each month. I transferred to Von Essen and they assured me that this was seamless at the time so I've been frantically tracking down as much paperwork as I can for that time period which I'll take to an accountant.
        It may be that you are looking at your pay as Gross (before tax). HMRC are looking at it as Net (like PAYE, after tax an NI has been taken out), so they are probably calculating your tax as 40% (your figure is 60%) and adding that that to get a back calculated figure.

Recalculate and see what you get...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Understand all that but wanted to see a real case which HMRC are taking to Bankruptcy and what they are doing where some goes in for voluntary bankruptcy

Comment

Understand all that but wanted to see a real case which HMRC are taking to Bankruptcy and what they are doing where some goes in for voluntary bankruptcy
            I think it's too early for that.

HMRC are clearly gathering information. Then will come a period of investigation and discussions with interested parties. Then closure notices/APN/potentially Follower Notices if they manage to win a case.

They will not choose to go for assessment as that can be appealed and the tax stood over.

My guess is also that APN will be mid/late next year as they will not want these challenged on an individual basis and if certain parties follow through on threats of JR's that will disturb the timing.

All tax demands can be subject to time to pay arrangements. If you are going to have trouble paying, tell HMRC AS SOON AS YOU RECEIVE A DEMAND. They will put you in touch with their debt management team and try to agree an instalment plan.

If you cannot afford an instalment plan, bankruptcy is NOT an automatic option for either you or HMRC. Elsewhere I've posted the options available to HMRC. They will generally take whatever action gives them most cash and that may be to object to bankruptcy, preferring sequestration of current earnings or an IVA.

From the payer's side, IVA is much less damaging to your credit and long term prospects for mortgages etc. Handled properly this can be done in such a way as to put you in control and not HMRC. This route needs professional advice and early action.

I do not provide this advice but would happily recommend a guy that my firm has an arrangement with - which is fee based for my clients - but would NOT involve any middle man fee/commission for anybody coming through here who is not a client of my firm.

Don't assume that HMRC will bankrupt you. That option gives them the least amount of tax and will not be their first choice.

Comment

Thanks Rob79
              If you can recommend a guy it will be great. For me it is find out exactly how to find out that in Bankruptcy kind of situation how to control it instead of HMRC having full control

Comment

Thanks Rob79
                If you can recommend a guy it will be great. For me it is find out exactly how to find out that in Bankruptcy kind of situation how to control it instead of HMRC having full control
                PM is your friend

Comment

PM rights please

Hi Admin
                  Can you please grant me PM rights?
                  (Will it not be easier for you to give these by default to all accounts as seems like all ask for it , but put a limit on number of PMs before you fully validate the account?)

Comment

Hi Admin
                    Can you please grant me PM rights?
                    (Will it not be easier for you to give these by default to all accounts as seems like all ask for it , but put a limit on number of PMs before you fully validate the account?)
                    No.

HMRC Enquiries posters are the only new posters with this exemption.

We are happy to keep it that way (and you have PM rights now anyway).
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I've just sent all the bank statements from the year 2008-2009 to HMRC. I've only received some amount from the scammers so hoping they reduce the amount I owe them.

It is strange that HMRC already have most of the information given to them by B & Co. (albeit it is all false amounts)

Waiting to call HMRC on monday to check if they have received my statements. It is good that I spoke to the HMRC person on my own rather than going through someone.

HMRC seem to be fully aware of the whole scam and they are willing to help. Waiting anxiously to know the figure I owe them.

Comment

Working...
                      X