• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another Consulting Overseas Victim?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why aren't the IR progressing this...?

If the IR have actually established that Credex and Sanfield were under common ownership then I presume that does invalidate the scheme so why havn't they either taken the matter to the special comissioners to get their money off the non-settlers or chased up the directors of Sanfield for perpetrating a fraud. The fact they haven't tells me that the IR haven't in fact established this.

Reading below I can't see why Credex and Sanfield could not have both been completely separate companies and both still made a legitimate profit.

It would be interesting to find out how long the IR can sit on this and do nothing. Is there a time limit?

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
      When I signed up they said the scheme was watertight .. had been approved by their tax lawyers etc.. etc.. Obviously not!
      As I've learned through the Montpelier scheme, approval by tax lawyers means absolutely sod all. Plenty of lawyers will happily take your money and offer an opinion, usually the one you want, and packed with caveats and get-outs so the opinion doesn't land them in trouble if it all goes tits-up.

What does matter is a court's opinion and by then it's usually too late.

Comment

another Sandfield victim

Hi,
        I left the UK a long time ago and now they have my Australian address and have sent a letter to me for immediate debt collection of a large amount of money for 2001-2003.

Anyone know whats happening with this ?

Has the Inland Revenue won the court case finally and are able to demand payment or are they just using scare tactics ?

I see that none of the following are now contactable .. or are they ? anyone know ?
        Consulting Overseas, Sandfield, Actinium or Chiltern

Thanks!
        Jase

Comment

Sandfield/ Consulting Overseas

Can someone give an update as to what has happened to this. I, for one, settled nearly £50k with the IR and want to know if there is still a chance of repayment!

Comment

Another year passes

I am a member of yet another group of former Sandfield contractors to get mixed up in this mess. We all got our letter back in 2004 and have, like so many others, been getting nowhere with regards to getting some closure on the matter. I have read with interest all the posts on the forum and can echo the thoughts and experiences of most. Our group still keep in contact and are now sharing our thoughts as regards a way forward following our annual correspondence with our contact at Sandfield, Wayne Barnett, which says exactly the same each year.....nothing!!!

I am interested to know if anyone actually commenced an independent legal approach and would welcome any information that I could pass on to my ex colleagues. It was mentioned that legal proceedings are time critical can anyone please elucidate.

I am happy to share any info I have which may be of common use but I think we are all in pretty much the same place.

I have hypothesized for some time that a deal between Consulting Overseas/Paul Bishop and HMRC may well have been brokered and that Chilterns are no longer on the case but have no evidence. I was however interested to see that it is thought that Sandfield and CO are both in administration, what evidence is there to support this?

Below is copy of an email recieved from Wayne FYI..

Amazing how time flies !
            Last summer HMRC was chasing up non settlors and endeavouring to persuade them to settle on the basis that HMRc considered that they had an overwhelming case and would be writing to everyone shortly. It would seem that someone either telephoned or wrote to HMRC suggesting that inaction by HM RC could damage their case as a letter came out at the end of September saying that HMRC would shortly be writing to everyone setting out the Revenue's position.
            Nothing has been heard since then as far as I am aware.
            Once again we are advised that inaction is possibly the best action as HMRC's position deteriorates all the time they potentially mismanage the case.
            It may be that we need to await the current Inspector moving to another department and someone new coming in ,who has no brownie points to lose on ceding the case, taking action to close the file.
            Kind regards
            Wayne

Preliminary discussions held with our group today suggested a simple phone call to the Special Investigations Unit at HMRC might be a start, has anybody else tried to contact them this way?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts/ideas.

Comment

Another Consultint Overseas Victim Here

Hello everyone

I am one of the "settlers" who was it seems conned by Consulting Overseas for income between 2001-2003.

I've just discovered this forum and it's interesting to read so many other stories.

I too was under the impression from the many letters I received by DR Jacobs from HMRC that my money would be refunded with interest should HMRC fail to disprove the authenticity of the scheme before the special commissioners.

I shall be tracking this forum now I know there are others here.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrother View Post
                Hello everyone

I am one of the "settlers" who was it seems conned by Consulting Overseas for income between 2001-2003.

I've just discovered this forum and it's interesting to read so many other stories.

I too was under the impression from the many letters I received by DR Jacobs from HMRC that my money would be refunded with interest should HMRC fail to disprove the authenticity of the scheme before the special commissioners.

I shall be tracking this forum now I know there are others here.
                So are you saying that Consulting Overseas is STILL being investigated and that a decision has not been reached yet?? Is this due to HMRC's inadequacy?

It's confounds me endless that HMRC can let this this string along for so long. Maybe they're hoping to rack up the interest charge, though surely their inaction will have this negated by the courts.

Comment

Having seen no evidence of any case being pursued against non-settlers, I've recently asked my accountant to write to HMRC on my behalf requesting a full refund plus interest of the money I paid back in 2005. If this is not possible we are asking for a update on the case and a way of keeping up to date with developments. Suggest you do the same.

Seems we "settlers" have nothing to lose and if it prompts some action from HMRC then good.

Comment

Originally posted by aviator View Post
                    Having seen no evidence of any case being pursued against non-settlers, I've recently asked my accountant to write to HMRC on my behalf requesting a full refund plus interest of the money I paid back in 2005. If this is not possible we are asking for a update on the case and a way of keeping up to date with developments. Suggest you do the same.

Seems we "settlers" have nothing to lose and if it prompts some action from HMRC then good.
                    I don't think the case is closed, it's just that HMRC are looking for a way to screw everyone and they haven't yet found one. It depends on how much the settlement was, but it may have been worth the price to have the case against you closed.

Comment

The trouble is, HMRC think the case against me IS closed. I've paid my money and they've promised not to come after me for any more AND to refund it all should they fail to take or prove a case before the Special Commissioners.

However, it doesn't seem particularly fair - not that fairness seems to factor in anything HMRC do - that the non-settlers seem to have got off scott-free without paying a penny to date. As far as I know all that has happened is that HMRC have offered them the same deal that the original settlers got 5 years ago ! and there seems no evidence that any action is being taken.

Comment

Working...
                      X