• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loan charge settlement process

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loan charge settlement process

I've recently received a loan charge discovery assessment, which I am appealing for several reasons, one of those being disputing the value of outstanding loans. Which will give me a bit of time to prepare for the next steps.

I'm wondering if anyone who has recently been through this can share their experience of the settlement process? I'm guessing I will be asked to complete the online settlement form next. How do they confirm accuracy of the information you have provided on this form? Do they routinely ask for supporting evidence, and if so what do they ask for? Have they allowed anyone recently to settle the individual years instead of the loan charge? Or by 'settlement' do they mean the loan charge being paid in full? Do they completely close the enquiry once a settlement is agreed?

Sorry for lots of questions!

What is the date on their letter?

Comment

Originally posted by scooby12 View Post
      Do they routinely ask for supporting evidence, and if so what do they ask for? Have they allowed anyone recently to settle the individual years instead of the loan charge? Or by 'settlement' do they mean the loan charge being paid in full? Do they completely close the enquiry once a settlement is agreed?

Sorry for lots of questions!
      As a minimum expect to be asked to provide bank statements, contracts, time sheets, remittances etc.

You may also be asked why you didn’t declare the loan charge - any questions like this will need careful consideration as HMRC may also consider applying penalties

With regards settlement, refer to the 2020 settlement terms online - there is no “a la carte” settlement process. The loan charge has to be paid in full - then the question of settlement of any prior tax years can be considered.

You haven’t mentioned whether you have any other years that are open (ie valid discoveries or enquiries opened) - if not, then the loan charge should be the end of it (fingers crossed)

I wish you luck with this, but be prepared for a few bumps in the road ahead - dealing with HMRC can be stressful…. And (as ever) consider getting professional help with this

Comment

For those that have settled, what did you really supply.

Comment

A breakdown of loan payments received month by month for it then to be scrutinised

Comment

Working...
          X