• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Rule 554C and Settling with Loan Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Rule 554C and Settling with Loan Company

I've asked the same question but it was an old thread so apologies for the duplication

I've fully settled with HMRC under the loan charge settlement scheme in 2020. Now I am in a position to settle my loans for around, 2%, figure. Loan value is around £160k so £3,200. I am confused about this 554C that I read being mentioned. Surely this is untenable when I have already paid all due taxes and NI including interest ? I can't afford to essentially pay another what , £150 K. Doesn't make any sense even in HMRCs world

Originally posted by topgazza View Post
    I've asked the same question but it was an old thread so apologies for the duplication

I've fully settled with HMRC under the loan charge settlement scheme in 2020. Now I am in a position to settle my loans for around, 2%, figure. Loan value is around £160k so £3,200. I am confused about this 554C that I read being mentioned. Surely this is untenable when I have already paid all due taxes and NI including interest ? I can't afford to essentially pay another what , £150 K. Doesn't make any sense even in HMRCs world
    If loans came from a trust you have all the issues related to trusts and inheritance tax to deal with.

That isn’t simple and the loans are above a particular thread hold so get some advice
    Last edited by eek; 21 October 2021, 06:25.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The total loans being written off is below the 325k IHT threshold, so there's no IHT.

As far as HMRC are concerned, you've settled and that's the end of it. (They'd get crucified by MPs if they started trying to tax the loans twice.)

Comment

If you have already paid income tax on what is economically the same amount as is being waived then double tax relief will be available. In short, you've probably satisifed the conditions for s554Z5 to apply. No idea of what your facts are, but on the face of it, it would reduce the value of the relevant step to nil.

It gets a bit geeky but HMRC explain how it works here: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/eim46001.

Comment

Thanks guys
          As far as I know that the trust was not a discretionary one so the £325k allowance doesn't apply. But still awaiting more info. But yes tax being paid should be zero based on settlement being paid in full

Comment

Working...
          X