• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Success Stories?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post

Let’s try this again.

if your employer is an actual company and goes bankrupt for commercial reasons, HMRC won’t chase an employee for owed money (HMRC have been clear multiple times when a pressed this point).

If your “employer” differs from above it’s open season - and to be clear most umbrella firms fall into the differs category.

As for auditing umbrella companies (note the lack of quotation marks) I don’t think that’s going to be difficult going forward…
    HMRC will target the employee in all circumstances don't be taken in by their offshore employer smoke and mirrors. I was an employee of a UK based and registered company that HMRC held up going into liquidation. HMRC got a 1.8p in the £ settlement with the liquidators. HMRC before and in parallel to this came directly to me for settlement with a direct statement that I was not due any "employer" credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Delendog View Post

HMRC will target the employee in all circumstances don't be taken in by their offshore employer smoke and mirrors. I was an employee of a UK based and registered company that HMRC held up going into liquidation. HMRC got a 1.8p in the £ settlement with the liquidators. HMRC before and in parallel to this came directly to me for settlement with a direct statement that I was not due any "employer" credit.
      Sorry I wasn’t talking about offshore schemes. I was talking to senior people at HMRC regarding where the cut off point is between an employee being chased and not chased as all umbrella firms are at the intersection here.

Manufacturing company going bankrupt owing money - company problem employees safe.
      long standing agency going bankrupt - companies problem, employees Safe

umbrella Going bankrupt. Rti submissions match agency reporting and tax paid correctly. company problem, employees save

Dodgy umbrellla firm lying on rti statements or rti statements not matching agency reporting or tax in previous months not fully paid (I.e. all loan / offshore schemes and a fair number of similar items. HMRC will chase the “employees” for every penny,
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
      X