• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Settling with HMRC - 10% off loans and salary as an expense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albert49 View Post

Can you clarify 10% of the expenses ? If your expenses for a year were £5,000, and the settlement figure for that year was £20,000, , was you final settlement figure for that year £19,500 ( £20,000 - £500 (ie 10% of £5,000) ) ?
    It was off the loan total. If loan was 100K then 90K would be used as the loan value to take into the tax calculations.

Comment

Originally posted by Delendog View Post

It was off the loan total. If loan was 100K then 90K would be used as the loan value to take into the tax calculations.
      Delendog, that was how mine was done also , Tollo's comment "10% of the expenses I submitted, without receipts, was allowed against the settlement." suggested something else.

Comment

10% was taken off the settlement figure I.e if amount to pay (settlement) was £20,000 and expenses were £5,000, the revised amount to pay was £19,500

Comment

My apologies to all, the premise that expenses are deducted from the loan amounts for the tax calculation is correct, I.e the expenses are not deducted from the settlement figure after the tax has been calculated, but from loan amounts before tax calculation - must have had (another) senior moment, they're getting more frequent.

Comment

Working...
          X