• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Tis the season to discover (that HMRC think you owe them money)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys. Definitely came today. I’m in Australia which gives some excuse but the postmark on the envelope was 26th May, letter dated 7th April as I said.

I called HMRC just to see what the deal was and just got some guy basically saying to ignore dates as everything is relaxed as part of coronovirus etc and that I need to just reply by email/mail stating my situation. Didn’t even bother to look at my case.

Just waiting to talk to my current accountant now to see what they suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby_Doo View Post
      Thanks guys. Definitely came today. I’m in Australia which gives some excuse but the postmark on the envelope was 26th May, letter dated 7th April as I said.

I called HMRC just to see what the deal was and just got some guy basically saying to ignore dates as everything is relaxed as part of coronovirus etc and that I need to just reply by email/mail stating my situation. Didn’t even bother to look at my case.

Really... relaxed as part of COVID ? Not really sure Ive heard anything about the loan charge all being relaxed as part of COVID. I've seen some very streesful tweets with people getting letters and claims.

I would certainly make sure you agree that they were out of time and no please dont ignore the dates. Its a difference between HMRC protecting and the settlement if you proceed being unprotected. No interest for unprotected. Depending on the amount and 4 years of interest it could be significant.

Still a bit shocked by the dont worry about dates comment. wow...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        HMRC think they are above the law!
        "Seldom in the history of civilized democracy has a public authority so openly waged war on its own citizens" Can never recall where I first heard that quote many years back, but it has always been HMRC to a tee...

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby_Doo View Post

That is the problem with HMRC, they haven't bothered to do anything for years. Now they need to find someone to pick up the bill for doing nothing.

Comment

Working...
          X