• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loan Charge Action Group

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
    10,000 signatures mean they will respond.

100,000 mean it will be debated (but not guaranteed to be. Some aren’t still)

That petition has 4 months left (2 months gone) with less than 2,500 signatures.

By all means sign it but I don’t think this will be effective. At all.

Lobbying your MP will probably be a better focus of your time.

Thanks for the advice. How on earth does one lobby my local MP.

Not only that I want to stay under the radar. Last thing I need is for HMRC get wind that say I am causing ripples.

Regarding "Mel". What I don't get is he actually worked up in the city and no doubt with many contractors. Ive read through the many questions put to him in Parliament and his response regarding the impact and or whether its right to introduce retrospectively. He just seems to shrug it all off saying no problem HMRC will help it will be fine. The number of impacted people he keeps quoting is so wrong. For me its like he has some vendetta. Maybe he didn't like contractors. I doubt in his constituency the local people who live there probably have no idea what a contractor is so not like he'll lose many votes. His downright stubbornness to assume "only a few" people will be seriously impacted is just so frustrating.

A quick question... does anyone know exactly how long HMRC are willing to give people affected to pay back this money. Last I heard its no more than 2.5 years. Is that still true ?

Comment

Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
      Not only that I want to stay under the radar. Last thing I need is for HMRC get wind that say I am causing ripples.
      This is a problem and probably how many are approaching it.

It has been said before people affected need to stand up be counted and be heard.

Comment

Regarding "Mel". What I don't get is he actually worked up in the city and no doubt with many contractors. Ive read through the many questions put to him in Parliament and his response regarding the impact and or whether its right to introduce retrospectively. He just seems to shrug it all off saying no problem HMRC will help it will be fine. The number of impacted people he keeps quoting is so wrong. For me its like he has some vendetta. Maybe he didn't like contractors. I doubt in his constituency the local people who live there probably have no idea what a contractor is so not like he'll lose many votes. His downright stubbornness to assume "only a few" people will be seriously impacted is just so frustrating.

A quick question... does anyone know exactly how long HMRC are willing to give people affected to pay back this money. Last I heard its no more than 2.5 years. Is that still true ?
        I have heard 2 years but I will need TTP of at least 20 years I think. I am absolutely fuming over this ill treatment from HMRC.

Comment

You lobby by making an appointment to see him/her and bending their ear in a face to face 15 minutes.

The prospect of your being selected for special treatment by HMRC for kicking up a fuss is totally unfounded. HMRC will not care a jot whether you make a fuss or not. Do not use this as an excuse not to take some action. Do not rely on others to do this for you.

Don't get hung up on "Mel". If he resigned tomorrow, some other party loyalist would step into his shoes and continue in exactly the same way. This has nothing to do with him as an individual but everything to do with tax policy which he is trying to defend.

As to extended terms to pay, all HMRC say is that it depends on circumstances. If you are told its X period or Y period, the only certainty is that it's wrong. You need to discuss this with them.
          Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
            This is a problem and probably how many are approaching it.

It has been said before people affected need to stand up be counted and be heard.
            Absolutely agree.

If you don't do it, who will?

This is not time to hide.
            Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
            X