• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC settlement Deadlines/delays and the LC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DontSettle View Post
    Remember to take into account that if you settle under HMRC's terms now you will never see your money again and you have admitted to tax avoidance so they will be back for more when they fancy it.
    If you settle it is final. Any subsequent change in the HMRC stance will not see you get any cash back post-settlement. HMRC has suggested to one of my staff that this is not the case and that settlement could be undone, but I think that is more to encourage people to sign than reality.

The 'admitted to tax avoidance' point is facile. If there is more, then HMRC are entitled to it.

For the record, I am not settling. My exposure is small - but mainly because HMRC deserves a bloody nose for this and I truly believe that they will come for Ltd. Contractors next if it's easy enough. Painting Ltd.as tax avoiders will be easy, and once that is done legislation may follow.

Comment

Register Interest through PTS or by myself?

Hi All

Many thanks for all the help thus far.

As many others of you will have as well I’m guessing, I was contracting through AML and ICS prior to that.
      I was sent an email to register my interest to settle through PTS -my question is - should I do it through them or should I send my own email to HMRC to register interest?

At this stage I don’t have an adviser (just you guys) but I really don’t trust AML or PTS now. Would it be possible to register my interest myself and then get an adviser a bit later (probably someone from this forum that is recommended) to assist me with submission and negotiation etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by Pine2014 View Post
        Hi All

Many thanks for all the help thus far.

As many others of you will have as well I’m guessing, I was contracting through AML and ICS prior to that.
        I was sent an email to register my interest to settle through PTS -my question is - should I do it through them or should I send my own email to HMRC to register interest?

At this stage I don’t have an adviser (just you guys) but I really don’t trust AML or PTS now. Would it be possible to register my interest myself and then get an adviser a bit later (probably someone from this forum that is recommended) to assist me with submission and negotiation etc.?
        Yes, the 'registering interest' part only requires a v short email so id suggest get that done to keep options open then decide in own time what to do next.

Comment

Registering interest

Originally posted by phil@dswtres View Post
          Yes, the 'registering interest' part only requires a v short email so id suggest get that done to keep options open then decide in own time what to do next.

Can anyone please tell me what I need to do to register interest with HMRC.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Pine2014 View Post
            Can anyone please tell me what I need to do to register interest with HMRC.

Thanks
            Register your interest by emailing:
            [email protected]

Include your UTR & NI number
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

This may sound like a silly question and I apologise for my ignorance if it is. But if for example you didn’t have a house in your name and hardly any savings and were working now for a big company and being paid PAYE. How would HMRC recoup money from you? Would the loan charge be applied to your salary from April 2019 ie would they just take it from source whereby you would be working but receiving zero salary? Or could you register interest to settle, receive the settlement amount from HMRC and then declare bankruptcy and then continue to work?

Comment

This may sound like a silly question and I apologise for my ignorance if it is. But if for example you didn’t have a house in your name and hardly any savings and were working now for a big company and being paid PAYE. How would HMRC recoup money from you? Would the loan charge be applied to your salary from April 2019 ie would they just take it from source whereby you would be working but receiving zero salary? Or could you register interest to settle, receive the settlement amount from HMRC (the statement saying how much you owe) and then declare bankruptcy and then continue to work?

Comment

a bit of advise please

Very unsure on how to move forward with the deadline.
                  I have completed a settlement for tax year 10/11
                  Had an demand for 11/12 that I appealed and heard nothing for best part of 2 years
                  No inquiry for 12/13 that i'm aware of.
                  and paid an APN for 13/14.

If i register with HMRC will that be in light of settlement for 11/12 & 12/13

Really not got an understanding, also received a mail from THL, stating that I can buy the deeds to the loans but don't understand how this would work. I certainly don't have anywhere near the sort of money to repay the original loans.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Register your interest by emailing:
                    [email protected]

Include your UTR & NI number
                    When considering the 'short' email to send... is this sort of thing too long? I am concerned about admitting too much!

Dear Sir/Madam,

Further to the notice on your website, I would like to ensure finality in my tax affairs and if I have previously used a structure which may now be considered a ‘disguised remuneration’ scheme, I would like to register to discuss options with HMRC.

UTR: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    NI#: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks and regards
                    Fred Bloggs

Comment

Originally posted by saltynut View Post
                      When considering the 'short' email to send... is this sort of thing too long? I am concerned about admitting too much!

Dear Sir/Madam,

Further to the notice on your website, I would like to ensure finality in my tax affairs and if I have previously used a structure which may now be considered a ‘disguised remuneration’ scheme, I would like to register to discuss options with HMRC.

UTR: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      NI#: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks and regards
                      Fred Bloggs
                      That's very polite and restrained, but yes, it's enough. Although there is a user on here called Fred Bloggs and he might be upset if you are sending emails in his name.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X