• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax owed, what happens now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax owed, what happens now?

Hmrc have written to me to say I owe around 15k in tax following the use to two umbrella companies, I have asked them for time to pay and tried to make offers of monthly payment but they declined, wanting more than I can afford. I haven’t any savings, worthwhile assets or a house. I haven’t heard from them for a few months and Im worried about debt collectors turning up etc. They did say they would proceed to enforcement and make me bankrupt but I am not sure why I haven’t heard from them since. Has anyone been through similar? What’s the next steps for me? Thanks

Originally posted by Taxedandconfused View Post
    Hmrc have written to me to say I owe around 15k in tax following the use to two umbrella companies, I have asked them for time to pay and tried to make offers of monthly payment but they declined, wanting more than I can afford. I haven’t any savings, worthwhile assets or a house. I haven’t heard from them for a few months and Im worried about debt collectors turning up etc. They did say they would proceed to enforcement and make me bankrupt but I am not sure why I haven’t heard from them since. Has anyone been through similar? What’s the next steps for me? Thanks
    You should get some professional advice.

In the meantime;

Write to DMB setting out very clearly your last offer to pay off the debt.
    Send the letter recorded delivery.
    Set a start date for making payments
    Make those payments.

Once you have advice, then it may be that the tax debt is too much/little or perhaps not due at all. Until you have somebody look at it, you'll not know.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Don't worry yourself too much about it

I know I know, easier said than done.

I had a conversation with HMRC DMB in which I offered to pay the most I could afford - I was told that I had to pay at least twice this much a month to get an agreement.

Three months later after no contact from HMRC, they called me and said my original offer was now acceptable.

Comment

If HMRC won't accept a reasonable TTP, contact your Member of Parliament.

We've seen many instances where MPs have been able to get HMRC to see sense.
        Last edited by Loan Ranger; 30 April 2018, 15:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Loan Ranger View Post
          If HMRC won't accept a reasonable TTP, contact your Member of Parliament.

We've seen many instances where MPs have been able to get HMRC to see sense.
          That is very ironic, seen as most of MP's can't seem to see sense !!!
          STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Working...
          X