• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AML 2019 Loan Charge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by webberg View Post
    I'd also mention that as your settlement values have not yet been agreed, all options are on the table and you are not forced to accept settlement.

If it is the case that you choose not to settle and instead want to join Big Group, the fee you paid will be a credit against the Big Group fee, leaving just the difference to be paid.

(Apologies to admin if this has transgressed advertising guidelines.

As I'm sure everybody here knows, other advisers are available. Settlement is within the capability of any competent accounting/tax adviser. Litigation is within the competence of many advisers, tending perhaps towards the larger firms.)
    Thanks for the quick response Graham.

I appreciate and respect that you do know your stuff when it comes to this subject (as much as anybody really can) and that among other things that must be going on behind the scenes, you give a lot of your time answering questions on this forum and giving your views which I’m sure helps put a lot of minds slightly more at rest which is difficult for us all given the circumstances.

I wasn’t told told about Big Group when I contacted WTT but then I did call indicating my intention of settling so that may be why it wasn’t mentioned at the time that it wasn’t a preferred route.

I will be waiting for figures from HMRC, hopefully in time or with an extension to the settlement deadline and then discuss with my designated advisor as to what the options are.

Comment

Would someone (preferably from within the LCAG) very kindly give me a summary of the benefits of joining LCAG? There is a joining fee of £150 so I believe and I have no issue in recognizing any organisation needs funds to fight a cause. However, I'd just like a really balanced view on what LCAG can do for someone like me.

Comment

Originally posted by Specsgalore View Post
        Would someone (preferably from within the LCAG) very kindly give me a summary of the benefits of joining LCAG? There is a joining fee of £150 so I believe and I have no issue in recognizing any organisation needs funds to fight a cause. However, I'd just like a really balanced view on what LCAG can do for someone like me.
        I second this. I emailed LCAG and didn't get a reply.

I'm not criticising; I appreciate it's run by volunteers. But still interested in knowing more.

Comment

Originally posted by Bemi View Post
          I second this. I emailed LCAG and didn't get a reply.

I'm not criticising; I appreciate it's run by volunteers. But still interested in knowing more.
          LCAG have driven the LC being challenged in Parliament all the press articles the setting up of the APPG against the LC the EDM - the list goes on. Surprised to be honest that you need to ask the question if you have been monitoring what has been happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Delendog View Post
            LCAG..........Surprised to be honest that you need to ask the question if you have been monitoring what has been happening.
            That comes across as a bit condescending, although perhaps not intended to be so ;-) I have been following the LCAG website and general press, so am aware of LCAG's profile and the considerable efforts it is making to see justice done around the 2019 Loan Charge. However, so I can learn more about LCAG before I sign up (perfectly reasonable, don'tcha think?), I would like to be able to correspond with someone who is perhaps the co-ordinator of membership. So, hopefully I will receive a PM in this regard
            Last edited by Specsgalore; 9 March 2019, 13:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Specsgalore View Post
              That comes across as a bit condescending, although perhaps not intended to be so ;-) I have been following the LCAG website and general press, so am aware of LCAG's profile and the considerable efforts it is making to see justice done around the 2019 Loan Charge. However, so I can learn more about LCAG before I sign up (perfectly reasonable, don'tcha think?), I would like to be able to correspond with someone who is perhaps the co-ordinator of membership. So, hopefully I will receive a PM in this regard
              It's more about what you can do for LCAG really. It is not a club with benefits as such, it's a volunteer group that helps co-ordinate actions against the LC.

The membership fee is required to cover political lobbying advice, some marketing and APPG expenses.

Additionally we are looking for contributions to the Judicial Review. Advice behind this will only be available to those who contribute.

As for reasonable, maybe but only barely. There is plenty of information to read and see on what is being done by LCAG. It is clearly a political lobbying group not a dinner club or gym.

If there is one thing that is guaranteed to put backs up though it is people who expect others to solve their problems while taking no action themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post
                It's more about what you can do for LCAG really. It is not a club with benefits as such, it's a volunteer group that helps co-ordinate actions against the LC.

The membership fee is required to cover political lobbying advice, some marketing and APPG expenses.

Additionally we are looking for contributions to the Judicial Review. Advice behind this will only be available to those who contribute.

As for reasonable, maybe but only barely. There is plenty of information to read and see on what is being done by LCAG. It is clearly a political lobbying group not a dinner club or gym.

If there is one thing that is guaranteed to put backs up though it is people who expect others to solve their problems while taking no action themselves.
                IMHO, Specsgalore has made a perfectly reasonable request and some of the remarks in the replies aren't exactly 'brotherly' and probably also "...guaranteed to put backs up.."! For starters, without for one moment questioning the motives or achievements thus far of LCAG, any organisation that takes money from people must surely have some accountability and a person (or persons) willing to engage with those who are interested in joining them. I'm not a member of LCAG but, like Specsgalore, might be prompted to join if I had means of speaking to someone.
                Last edited by Centrick; 9 March 2019, 15:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Centrick View Post
                  IMHO, Specsgalore has made a perfectly reasonable request and some of the remarks in the replies aren't exactly 'brotherly' and probably also "...guaranteed to put backs up.."! For starters, without for one moment questioning the motives or achievements thus far of LCAG, any organisation that takes money from people must surely have some accountability and a person (or persons) willing to engage with those who are interested in joining them. I'm not a member of LCAG but, like Specsgalore, might be prompted to join if I had means of speaking to someone.
                  Action - Loan Charge Action Group

I was prompted to join because HMRC are after £150K+ from me so I saw £150 as money well spent and is has and is being.

Comment

Originally posted by Centrick View Post
                    You can sign up with LCAG as a guest for 2 weeks and ask questions in the guest forum. The guest option has been there for a long time and questions get responded to pretty quickly. You are not prompted for a credit card or anything like that.

There is no number to call, with the exception of a helpline for those struggling, we simply don't have that capacity.

Last year finding info on LCAG was tricky and I could understand people being dubious, especially with so many scammers out there.

However there have been so many achievements in the last few months, support from MPs, news articles etc that I don't believe this is any longer true.

It's an action group, that's its purpose. To co-ordinate and direct action. Yes some communication aspects could be improved but everything takes money and/or time and other priorities, including people's work and home life, exist.

If you are exposed to the Loan Charge and you want to fight it then it has to be done as a group unless you are very rich. LCAG is the best first step, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      This chap Doug Barrowman, if he has a private super yacht that undoubtedly sales in international waters, I am sure some members here have ties with friends abroad outside British jurisdiction. Thereby if it is anywhere near the horn of Africa or gulf of Aden strange things do happen especially if you don't have the right private security contractors looking after you. There are organisation based in UAE or west Africa that do private security contracting and risk neutralisation. I am sure if the 100000 plus contractors affected donate even 100 GBP would help alleviate their frustration. Not advocating anything illegal under British law of course .

Comment

Working...
                      X