• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC FOI Enquiry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC FOI Enquiry

So i was abroad when discovery letters were sent by HMRC, these were then sent directly to person who was collecting post to Accountancy firm employed by EBT supplier, because of this i have no idea on what years discovery was open for, the status etc. These letters were about 4 years ago and since then ive heard nothing.

The accountancy firm are no longer representing me and not being helpful, and before i join a big group i need to have the information to proceed.

I have submitted 2 FOI requests to HMRC wasting 3 months, however are obviously asking or selecting the wrong thing, as i have received all my NI and Tax records but something in relation to any open discoveries.

Does somebody have a sample letter i can borrow to get a copy of the records, or to know who and what to ask for? Or another way of getting my records as i'm stuck at moment.

Thanks

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/hmrc-subject-access-request

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorUK99 View Post
      So i was abroad when discovery letters were sent by HMRC, these were then sent directly to person who was collecting post to Accountancy firm employed by EBT supplier, because of this i have no idea on what years discovery was open for, the status etc. These letters were about 4 years ago and since then ive heard nothing.

The accountancy firm are no longer representing me and not being helpful, and before i join a big group i need to have the information to proceed.

I have submitted 2 FOI requests to HMRC wasting 3 months, however are obviously asking or selecting the wrong thing, as i have received all my NI and Tax records but something in relation to any open discoveries.

Does somebody have a sample letter i can borrow to get a copy of the records, or to know who and what to ask for? Or another way of getting my records as i'm stuck at moment.

Thanks
      Have you actually tried writing to HMRC explaining what has happened and asking for copies of letters they have sent? I know from experience they are dicks but generally they comply with requests like this. FOI's are not the way to get personal information or updates on your case history.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
        Have you actually tried writing to HMRC explaining what has happened and asking for copies of letters they have sent? I know from experience they are dicks but generally they comply with requests like this. FOI's are not the way to get personal information or updates on your case history.
        There have been a few cases where the copies they sent have been altered in their favour!

There is prrof of this. However no court will find against HMRC.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          There have been a few cases where the copies they sent have been altered in their favour!

There is prrof of this. However no court will find against HMRC.
          Agreed. But if they are going to change stuff, they'll change it whether they are copies(!), FOI's or Subject Access Requests.

Comment

Working...
          X