• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How far will HMRC pursue the debt if you don't pay an APN?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    However, advice is worth what you pay for it. In this case, nothing. If you are going to ask a bunch of random strangers for free advice, don't be surprised if you get nonsense back.
    I wasn't looking for advice.

I just wanted to know if folks here had heard of anyone being bankrupted, receiving a CCJ etc over an unpaid APN.

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
      You may want to get other advice (as may I). Although I think we're arguing different things divorce vs BR/IVA.

Divorce: Both my lawyer and my ex's lawyer and the lawyer-mediator all have agreed that as we are married we are jointly-liable for the tax. So, for example, if HMRC is owed 200K and the equity in the joint property is 200K then HMRC expect you to sell the property. It's a joint liability.
      BR/IVA:No idea.....
      Apologies jbryce, seems we are talking about separate issues. Mine was non-divorce specific.
      STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by ns1 View Post

I just wanted to know if folks here had heard of anyone being bankrupted, receiving a CCJ etc over an unpaid APN.
        Elsewhere, I know of someone who has recently received a county court summons for unpaid APN's.
        STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
          Elsewhere, I know of someone who has recently received a county court summons for unpaid APN's.
          It will be interesting to see what assets they have.

I can't see a judge forcing a house sale or bankruptcy.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            It will be interesting to see what assets they have.

I can't see a judge forcing a house sale or bankruptcy.
            +1 but I suspect you would need to turn up in person to ensure a house sale / bankruptcy wasn't forced upon you.

Going forward as things get to that point this site will probably need a suggested does and don'ts FAQ...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              +1 but I suspect you would need to turn up in person to ensure a house sale / bankruptcy wasn't forced upon you.

Going forward as things get to that point this site will probably need a suggested does and don'ts FAQ...
              So far those affected by APNs are on other closed forums. Hopefully some information will seep out. The issue, as ever, is the number of trolls who frequent these boards.....

Comment

Originally posted by ns1 View Post

The APN \ FN 'blunt hammer' usage is still relatively new so the chances of anyone being bankrupted by HMRC is likely to be few at this time. However, do not be surprised if this changes rapidly in the next 5 or so years.

In the past, HMRC have not batted an eyelid at making 'ordinary' folk bankrupt over tax debts. The APN \ FN legislation speeds this process up somewhat ie give us the money we say you owe then we'll argue about it later.

Personally, I think they will start making scheme users (not just contractors) who cannot afford to settle, bankrupt.

Comment

Endgame here

I may well be able to report on this very soon; HMRC getting very heavy with us about APNs. Seeing my MP at emergency surgery tomorrow; no mortgage lender will lend on tax debt, so really running out of options

Comment

Originally posted by SummerhillLass View Post
                    I may well be able to report on this very soon; HMRC getting very heavy with us about APNs. Seeing my MP at emergency surgery tomorrow; no mortgage lender will lend on tax debt, so really running out of options
                    Hi SummerhillLass,

Did you make all your relevant representations to your APN's ? Not a cure, but if timed correctly, could delay the hounds even further to give you more time to find a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by SummerhillLass View Post
                      You found out the hard way you dont ask any lender to loan you money against a tax debt. You have to say it is for home improvements. Yes, it is not telling the truth but when between a rock and a hard place, it is what you have to do.

Comment

Working...
                      X