• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EBT settlement period extended?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EBT settlement period extended?

Does anyone know how this translates to e.g. Edge and some of the other schemes that used EBTs?

I would think better to settle now than wait for the 2019 tax charge to kick in, and another 3 years worth of interest.

I didn't settle as part of the EBT settlement opportunity that ran up until 31/03/2015. Paid some APNs instead.

Article: https://www.cchdaily.co.uk/hmrc-exte...n-scheme-users
    Last edited by EBTContractor; 26 July 2016, 05:36.

I thought this was for companies that were using EBT schemes and not contractors but I could be wrong. Webberg will probably know more..

Comment

The extension is for companies operating EBT's.

The original deadline was end of November 2016 and is now March 2017.

I'm hoping, with no real conviction, that somebody in Treasury/HMRC will now look at the proposed April 2017 tax charge and apply some common sense to it.

Perhaps that's pushing things too far.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post
        Does anyone know how this translates to e.g. Edge and some of the other schemes that used EBTs?

I would think better to settle now than wait for the 2019 tax charge to kick in, and another 3 years worth of interest.

I didn't settle as part of the EBT settlement opportunity that ran up until 31/03/2015. Paid some APNs instead.

Article: https://www.cchdaily.co.uk/hmrc-exte...n-scheme-users
        If you have paid APNs for the years you were involved there won't be any further interest?

Comment

Originally posted by Dylan View Post
          If you have paid APNs for the years you were involved there won't be any further interest?
          Correct. Paying an APN is the same as paying on account.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
            I'm hoping, with no real conviction, that somebody in Treasury/HMRC will now look at the proposed April 2017 tax charge and apply some common sense to it.

Perhaps that's pushing things too far.
            Do you mean April 2019 or what's the 2017 charge?

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            Correct. Paying an APN is the same as paying on account.
            Lovely stuff! How generous

Comment

Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post
              what's the 2017 charge?
              A typo.
              Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Working...
              X