• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Osborne Ultimatum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iliketax View Post
    No. That is not right.
    They certainly gave themselves impunity in 2011.

MPs excluded from tax avoidance legislation | Accountancy Age

So...how does that work in relation to "the Osborne Ultimatum" ?
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
      They certainly gave themselves impunity in 2011.

MPs excluded from tax avoidance legislation | Accountancy Age
      First, I'm not defending MPs.

Next, that has nothing to do with the original point about MPs being exempt from the April 2019 legislation.

On your point, saying that the disguised remuneration rules do "not apply by reason of a relevant step taken by the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority in relation to a member of the House of Commons" is very different from "impunity". IPSA does give loans to MPs to cover deposit for their constituency office / rental accommodation. If an employer did this it would not be within these rules but as IPSA is not an MP's employer then PAYE/NIC would be caught without this exemption. That is very different from "impunity" though.

Comment

Originally posted by CMS View Post
        Webberg,

What you and many others fail to understand is that Cascade has been assisting individuals impacted by HMRC enquiries and the APN legislation directly for many years and have been involved in supporting over 3,500 contractors.

All of our former contractors whom have access to the guidance and information via www.contractorupdates.com, a secure portal updated by Saleos Consultancy, the Solicitors of RPC, whom we have worked directly with to gather the thousands of documents for the various Judicial Review proceedings that have been set up for a number of former arrangements in which we were involved. We have over 2,000 contractors in those proceedings for whom payment has been deferred.

A great deal of work has also gone on in assisting with the explanation of the APN process, its impact, individuals options, guidance for joining a judicial review, completing witness statements, tailoring representation letters, to which if people followed the process and joined the Judicial review has resulted in APN payment being stayed, and HMRC have not been able to seize their possessions.

For the past 3 years all Cascade has done is spend each day assisting with enquiry related issues. The commitment was given to contractors when they first met with us, and that commitment is now being put in place. Yes, Cascade is closed, given Cascade was only the billing service for these arrangements and not the structure itself, our closure does not change any of the support currently given to all those who received a payment from the before mentioned arrangements. I should add that substantial funds have been set aside to do that, independently held under the protection of the SRA and which would be returned to any contributors should any funds remain after the fight has been fought. Professional fees are incurred only for work done and are independently verified. Contrast that with, for example, a monthly subscription model which sees funds paid irrespective of work done and which does not allow unspent funds to be returned to those paying them.

For you to group Cascade with those other arrangements that have ‘disappeared’ is not only wrong, but completely untrue.

Anyone who has used Cascade and/or has a profile on our website may not realise it, but they are actually supported and guided by the best in the business, and are given the facts around what is happening and what their real options are and that has been the case for some years. Cascade's closure does not alter that.

Perhaps you can comment on what The Big Group has achieved so far, and how your attempts to obtain a settlement on better terms than the CLSO is going?

Cascade
        Suggest we take this debate elsewhere (I see webberg has edited his post) ?
        Anywhere else would be better than under the watchful eye of our "friends"
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by LandRover View Post
          You got some nerve coming on here!

You are not the one who the HMRC is hounding. You are not the one stressed out, getting divorced and financially ruined by being sold into payroll schemes that were assured would not end up ruining us individuals.

You had all your commission, no tax to pay on that, even affiliates got in on it, so called professional accountants sold us onto these schemes with scare stories of IR35, and look who has ended up with their neck on the proverbial block!
          I'll second that.

At 3500 contractors, each staying with Cascade for ~ 3 years, earning say 100k/year, that's 1 billion turnover over their lifespan. Or 110 million in 11% fees. Rough estimate of course, could be double that, could be half. Not a bad 'scheme' for a company of such small size. So Cascade, if you're so righteous, why not open up your coffers and share that plunder with those who now need it most? And HMRC, since apparently you're listening, why not go after this cash cow?

Comment

Webberg,

What you and many others fail to understand is that Cascade has been assisting individuals impacted by HMRC enquiries and the APN legislation directly for many years and have been involved in supporting over 3,500 contractors.

All of our former contractors whom have access to the guidance and information via www.contractorupdates.com, a secure portal updated by Saleos Consultancy, the Solicitors of RPC, whom we have worked directly with to gather the thousands ...
            Perhaps you can comment on what The Big Group has achieved so far, and how your attempts to obtain a settlement on better terms than the CLSO is going?

Cascade
            People can say what they like but truth is that cascade stood and stayed on to support unlike many other who just ran away

Comment

Webberg,

A great deal of work has also gone on in assisting with the explanation of the APN process, its impact, individuals options, guidance for joining a judicial review, completing witness statements, tailoring representation letters, to which if people followed the process and joined the Judicial review has resulted in APN payment being stayed, and HMRC have not been able to seize their possessions.

For you to group Cascade with those other arrangements that have ‘disappeared’ is not only wrong, but completely untrue.

Cascade
              If you're not Cascade then who are you?
              As far as I am aware Saleos has gone down the JR route and that is still ongoing. Whilst APNs may well have been stayed, the interest continues to grow. I'm not going to argue re. the merits of the APNs and I wish you good luck and I do hope it's more than kicking the can down the road.

Saleos did offer access to his knowledge articles, but I believe there was a fee attached. Off the top of my head I can't remember how much it was.

Comment

That was only for non cascade people. Anyone else who has been able to stop the interest? Anyone else supported more than cascade? As far as I know those who wanted to settle cascade was the only one able to get the loans written off and get a full and final settlement.
                I would not want to pay and neither would cascade want to. It is for HMRC to make retro laws so that cascade pays like I have to.
                HMRC is targeting us as we are easy to crush. Cascade is helping as much as they can without digging deep into their pockets and that is much better than some other scheme providers.

Comment

Originally posted by StrengthInNumbers View Post
                  That was only for non cascade people. Anyone else who has been able to stop the interest? Anyone else supported more than cascade? As far as I know those who wanted to settle cascade was the only one able to get the loans written off and get a full and final settlement.
                  I would not want to pay and neither would cascade want to. It is for HMRC to make retro laws so that cascade pays like I have to.
                  HMRC is targeting us as we are easy to crush. Cascade is helping as much as they can without digging deep into their pockets and that is much better than some other scheme providers.
                  For a JR, there is no way to stop the interest, just a postponement of the APN, unless you win of course.

Cascade weren't the 'only ones'. I was a member of Sanzar, they supported through the 'Contractor Helpdesk' and got a final settlement for those that took the CLSO (very few). 'Contractor Helpdesk' was funded by an amount set aside by Sanzar/Garraway - a vested interest perhaps? Apart from AML have any of these committed to defending an FTT or UTT?

My understanding of the 2019 'sunset' proposal is having the loans written off will still require you to pay tax and my understanding of the Cascade settlement is that it leaves the IHT question open. There is no silver bullet here.

This is a long, long fight. What will make a difference is a large group that is able to negotiate en-masse with HMRC.

The BG is getting bigger. Join.

I did pick the winner in the National today and won £67.

Comment

Open Enquiry

Am I right in saying that an open enquiry can only be 'closed' once the court has made a decision or you settle otherwise it will remain open forever and a day? Just thinking how this plays out with this proposed legislation and whether your case will remain 'open' forever if there is no appetite to have it heard in litigation? Is it in HMRC's interest to close enquiries or are they content with leaving them open? Apologies if this has been asked before..

Comment

Originally posted by difficulttimes View Post
                      Am I right in saying that an open enquiry can only be 'closed' once the court has made a decision or you settle otherwise it will remain open forever and a day? Just thinking how this plays out with this proposed legislation and whether your case will remain 'open' forever if there is no appetite to have it heard in litigation? Is it in HMRC's interest to close enquiries or are they content with leaving them open? Apologies if this has been asked before..
                      An enquiry is closed when agreement is reached or imposed. It is reached between you and HMRC. It is imposed by a Court decision.

It will NOT remain open forever (may feel like that but it has to end).

HMRC cannot unilaterally decide to leave an enquiry open.

HMRC can decide to stop the enquiry in which case they will tell you. I doubt that's going to happen here.
                      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                      X