• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Montpelier & Newquay 10% loan repayment demands

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Your mate, is he a qualified tax advisor or tax barrister? If not, then sorry to be blunt but his opinion is worthless.

Be careful who you listen to.
    Even if he was I'm not sure I would agree with him this time. I think HMRC is making it up as they go.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Even if he was I'm not sure I would agree with him this time. I think HMRC is making it up as they go.
      The worry now is that WG might be joining them! Its very hard to tell - opinion is clearly divided.

Two things we can be sure of :-
      1. Join Big Group if you have a loan
      2. If you insist on doing any sort of avoidance scheme, then get a CTD.

On the subject of HMRC making things up, if I win the lottery I intend to fund a private prosecution of HMRC. There is enough smoke to be sure of fire. My own cause is lost now - but I would like to make life just a little bit better.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        The worry now is that WG might be joining them! Its very hard to tell - opinion is clearly divided.

Two things we can be sure of :-
        1. Join Big Group if you have a loan
        2. If you insist on doing any sort of avoidance scheme, then get a CTD.

On the subject of HMRC making things up, if I win the lottery I intend to fund a private prosecution of HMRC. There is enough smoke to be sure of fire. My own cause is lost now - but I would like to make life just a little bit better.
        I am yet another dope who has got caught up in this mess.

I got a letter from MT asking for the 10%.

I called WTT yesterday and left a message asking them to call me so I will wait and see.

Because of the unwanted watchers I won't say any more on here.

As I just joined, could I ask the admins for rights to PM so I can talk in private with members such as the excellent and helpful Brillopad? As well as many others

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Another dope View Post
          I am yet another dope who has got caught up in this mess.

I got a letter from MT asking for the 10%.

I called WTT yesterday and left a message asking them to call me so I will wait and see.

Because of the unwanted watchers I won't say any more on here.

As I just joined, could I ask the admins for rights to PM so I can talk in private with members such as the excellent and helpful Brillopad? As well as many others

Thanks
          I just spoke with someone at WTT and will be joining.

Comment

I have joined WTT do I need to let Montpelier know they are not getting their requested 10%?

Comment

Originally posted by sid84763 View Post
              I have joined WTT do I need to let Montpelier know they are not getting their requested 10%?
              Opinion is divided. Some are sending the WTT letter to Montpelier, some are not. Its a bit complex, and WG is reading this thread(hello WG ).

If you want to discuss further, best to request PM rights and then PM CanPayButWouldRatherNot or myself.

Main thing is you have joined WTT!

BP

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Opinion is divided. Some are sending the WTT letter to Montpelier, some are not. Its a bit complex, and WG is reading this thread(hello WG ).

If you want to discuss further, best to request PM rights and then PM CanPayButWouldRatherNot or myself.

Main thing is you have joined WTT!

BP
                How do I get PM rights?

Comment

Originally posted by sid84763 View Post
                  How do I get PM rights?
                  You need to ask admins which is a bit difficult as that requires pm fights. I have already sent a message so hopefully someone will do it soon
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    You need to ask admins which is a bit difficult as that requires pm fights. I have already sent a message so hopefully someone will do it soon
                    Many thanks.

Comment

Montpelier not being straight

Some of our guys have asked them about writing off the loans.

The trustees have said this would incur an income tax and national insurance liability in the current tax year. This totally contradicts the answer they gave, in question 21 of the scheme FAQs, which was based on advice from Counsel (the QC opinion).

The trustees go on to say that, repaying the 10%, would enable them to consider further tax planning in this and other areas. In other words, they will be taking fees from the trust fund to pay for this. And, yes, they are permitted to do this without the consent of the beneficiaries. The trustees have absolute discretion over the fund.

Comment

Working...
                      X