• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Montpelier & Newquay 10% loan repayment demands

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Out Of Cash View Post
    I was wondering if talk around potential strategies like statute barred would be better placed in the private forums such as BG or TAA away from the eyes of HMRC and WG etc?
    Definetly

Comment

confused

Im confused. Is it not simple to follow the money to prove the 'legitamacy' of the loan?
      If one decides to settle with HMRC then it basically states that it was not a lagitimate loan
      so does that not mean that MP have to right to demand?

Will Big Group help with dealing with MP as well as HMRC?

Geese, what a mess all because IR35 was uncertain.

Comment

Originally posted by Laxmi View Post
        Im confused. Is it not simple to follow the money to prove the 'legitamacy' of the loan?
        If one decides to settle with HMRC then it basically states that it was not a lagitimate loan
        so does that not mean that MP have to right to demand?
        Nope. In the worst case interpretation, you received income, which is liable for tax, although the tax wasn't deducted. You then gifted all your post-tax salary away and then took out a loan (for an amount which was higher than your post tax salary).

Ergo, both the tax and the loan are payable.

That scenario is extremely unlikely and/or enforceable. But losing/settling with HMRC does not automatically invalidate the loan.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
          Nope. In the worst case interpretation, you received income, which is liable for tax, although the tax wasn't deducted. You then gifted all your post-tax salary away and then took out a loan (for an amount which was higher than your post tax salary).

Ergo, both the tax and the loan are payable.

That scenario is extremely unlikely and/or enforceable. But losing/settling with HMRC does not automatically invalidate the loan.
          Thanks, sorry state of affairs. But I'm sure those that attended the MP talk know the situation & can band together w.r.t. what the loan represented.

Comment

Thanks, sorry state of affairs. But I'm sure those that attended the MP talk know the situation & can band together w.r.t. what the loan represented.

What & when was the MP talk, I'm part of Big Group was it anything to do with them?
            ooc

Comment

I don't suppose anyone had the foresight to record the MP talk?
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Loan Ranger View Post
                They've already said that we would have to wait at least a year or so to get the money back, so it didn't look suspicious. How dodgy does that sound?
                Montpelier really said that?

Comment

I'm new to this forum. I recently settled a £10k+ demand for 2007/8 due to stress of MTM and HMRC going back and forth. Now I've receved the 10% demand (around £8k) from MTM, for loan dating back to 2008/9 period.
                  I've not received any notification from HMRC or MTM it was under investigation until last year when I queried with MTM what the total settlement figure might be and they advised this EBT was being investigated.
                  I've still not received anything except the 10% demand. Having just settled for the first year, I'm relucant to just send money back to MTM which is effectively the my salary and I will still have to pay tax if it becomes due.

I'm interested in joining any Big Group if someone can point me in the right direction.

thank you!

Comment

What & when was the MP talk, I'm part of Big Group was it anything to do with them?
                    No. We have not had a conference on this situation.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

I meant the Montpelier sales pitch it was actually the original IOM scheme.

Comment

Working...
                      X