• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Discovery assessment 2011/12 - check your HMRC account - NOW

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discovery assessment 2011/12 - check your HMRC account - NOW

We have recently experienced a number of instances where clients have checked their HMRC account for 2011/12 and found a liability which apparently stems from a discovery assessment.

Upon enquiry, the assessment was supposedly issued between 20th and 22nd January but has not arrived.

That will make an appeal within 30 days potentially difficult.

HMRC has said that they will accept an appeal and postponement based on the HMRC account entry but that's frankly not good enough.

I seriously doubt that an HMRC account entry is sufficient "delivery" of an assessment but any suggestion there will no doubt set a lot of hares running.

You could if you're brave in this situation perhaps say nothing and if the assessment turns up outside the 30 days make a late appeal and if it turns up after April 5th, claim it's too late?

Anyway - CHECK YOUR ACCOUNT
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Just received mine. YAY! cleared me out!

I have paid the fine for 2011/2012
    Maybe I should have appealed but I spoke to an accountant friend and he wasnt too hopeful of a good outcome.

Now that I am flat broke, I am a nervous wreck as I'm worried that they will do more assessments! Why did they just do the one year? Will I get another one for previous years??
    Why do I feel like a criminal? I was assured by the umbrella company, Network One, that everything was above board.

Originally posted by webberg View Post
    We have recently experienced a number of instances where clients have checked their HMRC account for 2011/12 and found a liability which apparently stems from a discovery assessment.

Upon enquiry, the assessment was supposedly issued between 20th and 22nd January but has not arrived.

That will make an appeal within 30 days potentially difficult.

HMRC has said that they will accept an appeal and postponement based on the HMRC account entry but that's frankly not good enough.

I seriously doubt that an HMRC account entry is sufficient "delivery" of an assessment but any suggestion there will no doubt set a lot of hares running.

You could if you're brave in this situation perhaps say nothing and if the assessment turns up outside the 30 days make a late appeal and if it turns up after April 5th, claim it's too late?

Anyway - CHECK YOUR ACCOUNT

Comment

Originally posted by pin00ch View Post
      I have paid the fine for 2011/2012
      Maybe I should have appealed but I spoke to an accountant friend and he wasnt too hopeful of a good outcome.

Now that I am flat broke, I am a nervous wreck as I'm worried that they will do more assessments! Why did they just do the one year? Will I get another one for previous years??
      Why do I feel like a criminal? I was assured by the umbrella company, Network One, that everything was above board.
      Government propaganda has labelled us all tax avoiding scum. Even if we have done nothing wrong.

You didn't have to pay you could have appealed and put money into a savings account or paid a HMRC Payment on account certificate. There will be more assessments no doubt, so if you are still using a scheme get out NOW imo. Also depending on how you think this will all play out, join a group and you will feel not so isolated. Big Group has many from previous schemes and it's low cost and ultimately looking to negotiate with HMRC.

You are not alone in how you feel, far from that.
      http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Just been charged for 2011/2012

I haven't used the scheme since early 2013.
        I just find it odd that they assessed 2011/2012 and not the year before.

Originally posted by LandRover View Post
        Government propaganda has labelled us all tax avoiding scum. Even if we have done nothing wrong.

You didn't have to pay you could have appealed and put money into a savings account or paid a HMRC Payment on account certificate. There will be more assessments no doubt, so if you are still using a scheme get out NOW imo. Also depending on how you think this will all play out, join a group and you will feel not so isolated. Big Group has many from previous schemes and it's low cost and ultimately looking to negotiate with HMRC.

You are not alone in how you feel, far from that.

Comment

Received a Discovery Assessment but I didn't fill in a tax return for that year!

As the title says, I received a notice of assessment under discovery provisions of section 29...

However, HMRC wrote to me in January 2013 and told me not to file any more SA Tax Returns. I duly complied. The last return i completed was in January 2012 for tax year 2010-2011.

Over the weekend I received the assessment for year 2011-2012 with a figure including interest to be paid by 6th April 2016. In with the paperwork is a Tax Calculation sheet with a column 'based on revised figures' and a figure in a taxable 'Other income' column which wasn't on my P60.

1. How would they have calculated this figure with no tax return?
          2. Why would I receive an assessment without having filed a tax return?

Reading through this forum, most if not all people seemed to have filled in a tax return before being assessed.

Comment

Working...
          X